Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd Ypres Casualties

sassenach

In this week's "Radio Times" the BBC trails its Passchendaele coverage next week with the statement that by the end of the battle 325,000 Allied troops were dead. I know there is probably no definitive figure, but does anyone recognise this as accurate, please?

Sorry, just realised this somehow got into the wrong category. Fraid I don't know how to move it.

Edited by sassenach

No, it is not accurate.  The OH gives a figure of casualties (not just the dead) of just under 250000.  A quick search of the CWGC database shows 107647 deaths for the period 31 Jul - 10 Nov 17 but that is the worldwide figure.  The totals for burials (incl those with no known grave) in Belgium, France and UK are 97706.  The figure for Belgium is 76580.  

That's casualties, not dead.   OP was talking about deaths.  

Edited by Gareth Davies

It seems the figure of 325,000 Allied deaths bears no relation to any reality. They probably meant casualties, in which case it is very shoddy work. Once or twice during the Somme commemorations last year there were references to "60,000 British dead on the first day."

Edited by sassenach

The Wiki page for the battle gives an outlne of the quarrel over casualty figures for each side since the events ocurred.

Wiki page

26 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

That's casualties, not dead.   OP was talking about deaths.  

Oops my mistake