Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hello,

This is my first time using this site, so I hope I am doing things correctly.  After visiting a WW1 event at Lincoln Castle I was advised to add a post to this site.

I am trying to discover more about my great grandfather Albert Musson.  I have a couple of documents which relate to his time in the Navy and seem to suggest he was on the following ships or depots - Breel Castle, Vivid, Actaeon, Ganges.  I have attached the documents here.

Any help, information, photos or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

M Sharpe

5975ab90432c8_AlbertMussonNationalArchiveInfoNavy.pdf

5975ab938dd75_AlbertMussonNavyDischarge.jpg.154b944a70eea6aeb81372a8f4cf9792.jpg

He served in the Trawler Section of the Royal Naval Reserve (Auxiliary Patrol), enrolled as a Boy Deck Hand (523.SBD) and later advanced to Deck Hand (18746.DA). The poor, low-res, B&W scan from Kew is, as usual, almost impossible to read in detail but the ships named were parent ships for trawlers and drifters of the Auxiliary Patrol:  HMS DREEL CASTLE at Falmouth, HMS VIVID at Devonport, HMS ACTAEON at Sheerness and HMS GANGES at Harwich. The only boat I can discern is the hired Peterhead drifter LLOYD GEORGE which was based on GANGES.

The Fleet Air Arm Museum (now part of the National Museum of the Royal Navy) hold all these original records and provide a colour copying service, should you want a decent copy. of his record.