Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

59th Siege Battery R.G.A.

Samjames

Hi all,

Having roamed around the Ypres area almost yearly and with 1918 being the centenary of my grandads service I'm hoping to possibly narrow down where he actually was. I have his demob slip stating attested 24.6.16 and called up on the 25.2.18. I'm assuming he spent all his time with the 59th which is the unit he transferred to the reserve from. His name was R.J.Sheen 286756 Gunner.

Hi and welcome

On ForcesWarRecords RJ Sheen #286756 is detailed with a suffering of

Service Number: 286756
Ailment: Epididymitis
Date of Admission for Original Ailment: 08/04/1919
Date Discharged Back to Duty: 10/04/1919

It also notes

Regiment: Royal Garrison Artillery
Battalion: 276th Siege Battery

If that helps you

regards

Jon

1 hour ago, Samjames said:

Hi all,

Having roamed around the Ypres area almost yearly and with 1918 being the centenary of my grandads service I'm hoping to possibly narrow down where he actually was. I have his demob slip stating attested 24.6.16 and called up on the 25.2.18. I'm assuming he spent all his time with the 59th which is the unit he transferred to the reserve from. His name was R.J.Sheen 286756 Gunner.

From a quick google search forum member rflory has a War Diary for 59th S.B.  You could try sending him a message.

Samjames:  I have a 7-pare and 5-page manuscript of the war diary of 59th Siege Battery.  I find no mention of Sheen but generally only officers are mentioned.  It does though indicated the travels of the battery during the war.  PM your email address and I will send you scans of the pages.

Regards, Dick Flory

Thanks for the help guys,

Jonbem, that's great info looks like I'll have to figure out how the 276th fits into his story, I'd assumed he was just in the 59th due to his demob and the fact he wasn't over there that long. Although I was a young lad we did talk about the war but the only place he mentioned was Ypres.

GWF1967,thanky you, I did indeed consider it but a good read of the forums showed he has a fine nose for these things :)

Rflory, that would be fantastic I will certainly do that. After jondems post, hopefully he was in it ! 

Here's a pic of his slip possibly an officers name on the bottom may be of interest.

20170724_133538.jpg.56527125f230eb910de57984f0cb28dc.jpg

3 hours ago, Samjames said:

Thanks for the help guys,

Jonbem, that's great info looks like I'll have to figure out how the 276th fits into his story, I'd assumed he was just in the 59th due to his demob and the fact he wasn't over there that long. Although I was a young lad we did talk about the war but the only place he mentioned was Ypres.

GWF1967,thanky you, I did indeed consider it but a good read of the forums showed he has a fine nose for these things :)

Rflory, that would be fantastic I will certainly do that. After jondems post, hopefully he was in it ! 

Here's a pic of his slip possibly an officers name on the bottom may be of interest.

59th Battery was a post war home battery at the time of his discharge, and not to be confused with 59th Siege Battery. Personally I would be looking at 276 SB.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin that's a little gem. 276 it is then. Unfortunately I do remember reading a post by Rflory stating the battery diary doesn't exist for my time period. I've seen the post by Roger Sleath but a quick search suggests he sadly passed away a few years ago. I assume info in the relevant HAG diary is scarce ?