Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bethune Military Hospital - July 1916

Cam_s

Good Day,

I am on my mobile and I can't find the search tab so if this topic has been posted before, I apologize.

Does anyone know what hospital units or field ambulances were in Bethune or the surrounding area in July 1916? 

I would like to know where the deceased soldiers came from who were buried at Bethune cemetery. From looking at the graves they are in sequential order by dates which makes me think they were interred after they died at a hospital and not in a jumbled fashion like at front line hospitals. 

Thanks for any help,

Cam

Looks like only 33 Casualty Clearing Station. CWGC notes for Bethune Town Cemetery say this, plus the Long Long Trail has only that one unit except for 1 CCS for a short time in 1915.No Hospitals listed.

• 2 years later...

I have transcribed my Grandfathers diaries for 1915/1916. In August 1916 he was MO with 134th field ambulance and gives a detailed eye account of the shelling of Bethune town centre.

7th August

" I then saw three wagons with their six horses stretched out on the road one with driver, while just by me was a Tommy with his leg blown off at the thigh and hanging by the skin. I caught a spurting artery with my forceps and made a temporary bandage." " We took our wounded to the CCS  and then as CCS ambulances were being sent to pick up wounded I cleared away."

No33 CCS was also shelled that day and five nurses were awarded the MM. Also 133rd F.A and 91st F.A  were in the area and evacuated casualties to the 134th F.A. I have found at least  25 military deaths that day, majority of them attached to the 33CCS  and of course the many civilian casualties in the town.

I dare say you have most of this info.

I have started a blog on GWF and try to attach random days from the diaries.

Cheers 

Dave D