Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl Martin F Morrissey

scall38

Good evening. I am researching a possible ancestor of a friend of mine . 10354 Cpl Martin F Morrissey and we have discovered this soldier was awarded the Military Medal with Bar. Any information that anyone can assist with would be very helpfull thanks. 

I have found his London Gazette entry for both awards. There is no mention of the events or dates which led to the awards. Can anyone help please. Also he was wounded on 15 Nov 1916 . His unit was 1 Bn Irish Guards.  Was the unit in action on that date. ? Thanks. 

To help with dates, MF Morrisey 10354 passed through 34 Casualty Clearing Station on 15/11/16 with gunshot wounds to left ear and cheek; there is more info on ForcesWarRecords Hospital Admissions. (I suspect you've seen this)

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

The Great War Medal Collectors Companion.

London Gazette  14 May 1919     Period  August   September 1918.

London Gazette   23 July 1919     Period October   November 1918.

Bob

I have found his London Gazette entry for both awards. There is no mention of the events or dates which led to the awards. Can anyone help please. Also he was wounded on 15 Nov 1916 . His unit was 1 Bn Irish Guards.  Was the unit in action on that date. ? Thanks. 

Hi again. Both L Sgt Morrisseys MM and Bar awards were gazetted in 1919. I wonder if both events occoured in 1918. Generally how long did it normally take for an award to be gazetted. Thanks in advance.  By the way it seems that only ten Irish Guards received the MM with Bar. Galentry award throughout the war. 

Hi scall38,

11 hours ago, scall38 said:

Both L Sgt Morrisseys MM and Bar awards were gazetted in 1919. I wonder if both events occoured in 1918. Generally how long did it normally take for an award to be gazetted.

There is some advice on researching MMs on the LLT - click here. More specifically Bob's post #4 narrows the likely date range for the events, based on the date of the London Gazette issue that the award appeared in.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:51, little bob said:

London Gazette  14 May 1919     Period  August   September 1918.

London Gazette   23 July 1919     Period October   November 1918.

The Battalion war diary from August 1915 is here on Ancestry, and here from the National Archives. As a general reference work Kipling's 'The Irish Guards in the Great War' is available as a free download from here

It would appear that Martin probably attested in mid November 1915:

10305 Ledwith attested 13.11.1915

10338 Donnellan attested 13.11.1915

10406 Murphy attested 17.11.1915

10409 Gilligan attested 18.11.1915

Regards

Chris