Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

38th brigade RFA war diary July 1917

Maureen Bird

Can anyone tell me where to get access to the above war diary.   I am visiting the battlefields at the end of this month and am trying to find out where my great uncle was fighting when he was killed in action on 14th July 1917.   his name is on the Menin gate as he has no known grave.   Apparently his name is on two panels?   Why would that be?

his details are as follows:-

Driver Edward Beckwith

Naionality:. United Kingdom

Royal Field Artillery

38th Bde Ammunition Column

Service No.169322

Panels 5 and 9 Menin Gate

I would be most grateful for any information about the 38th Bde. Around July 1917.   My e-mail is mmbird2000@yahoo.co.uk

kind regards Ladybird

Welcome to the Forum Ladybird,

These war diaries are only available from the National Archives at the moment.

For February to July 1917 it is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/68f7de3207fc423893d73f0273adc115

For July and August 1917 it is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/fe3346a683364636814cefb6675e191d

You may have to download both to get the overall picture of events around July 14, 1917

There are a lot of RFA personnel on both panels 5 and 9, but I don't know quite why this was done.

Also his number would indicate him being in 4th North Midland Howitzer Brigade prior to being posted overseas via Woolwich on September 14, 1916 

Thank you so much for the information. David.   Hopefully I will now find more about my Mother's favourite Uncle.   In the past I have tried Ancestry but did not get far possibly due to my inexperience and that sites poor indexing.   I am looking forward to my 'Battlefields tour' and paying my respects to those brave men who, like my great uncle, did not live to have a family to remember him.

Best wishes and many thanks

Ladybird

There is a short report of his death in the Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal for August 17, 1917. You can view this on The British Newspaper Archive or Findmypast with an appropriate subscription.

On 21 July 2017 at 17:15, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum Ladybird,

These war diaries are only available from the National Archives at the moment.

For February to July 1917 it is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/68f7de3207fc423893d73f0273adc115

For July and August 1917 it is here - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/fe3346a683364636814cefb6675e191d

You may have to download both to get the overall picture of events around July 14, 1917

There are a lot of RFA personnel on both panels 5 and 9, but I don't know quite why this was done.

Also his number would indicate him being in 4th North Midland Howitzer Brigade prior to being posted overseas via Woolwich on September 14, 1916 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you David for all the information .   I was able to discover that Edward was killed at Ypres as was his horse and four mules. The brigade ammunition column casualties occurred whilst bringing up ammunition to the guns.   I was able to photograph the panel with his name on and also be at the Menin Gate on Sunday evening 30th July for the ceremony of sounding the last post and the show afterwards.    I visited the battlefields, some of which my great uncle had 'visited' one hundred years previously on his way to Ypres.   The tales of what the men suffered and their bravery were very moving and it made you feel proud to have such men as ancestors.   We have a lot to live up to.

Grateful thanks and warmest regards,

Maureen Bird

Maureen,

I'm so glad you were able to find the circumstances of Edward's death in the War Diary, sometimes nothing is mentioned. Also it is great you had a fruitful visit to the battlefields of Ypres and the Menin Gate. The sheer scale of the casualties is unimaginable in today's relatively peaceful world. It also puts our everyday problems into perspective.

You may want to remove your email address from post #1 to reduce the chances of extra spam being sent in your direction.