The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed from our Australian Pals, please.

Gunner R.A.

Just wondered if anyone could help me with the following,

I am presently looking at Sergeant Walter Lee who was KIA on the 8th of August 1916 whilst serving with the 51st Battalion, A.I.F.

I am trying to locate the date of his marriage and the surname of his wife.

His service record has an annotation in red ink, stating his wife’s name was Florence Kate Lee, so I presume he was married after he enlisted which was on the 13th of January 1915 at Perth, Western Australia. He left Australia on-board HMAT Argyllshire on the 19th of April 1915, so if I am correct there is only a short window of opportunity.

The problem is I cannot find the marriage on Ancestry, and was wondering if anyone from Australia could shed some light regarding this marriage?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated,

Kind regards,

Peter.

HI Peter

Nothing here either - http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

Thinking outside the box, is it possible he married somewhere else, his wife was living there, when he signed up he put his mum, but then his wife moved to WA, and he changed it??

regards

Robert

PS beat me by that much!!!!

Edited by rksimpson

Hello Peter,

This might not be relevant, but Findmypast has a record {basic details only} showing that Florence K. Lee married James Steer in Sydney in 1919. There is a good chance this was Walter's widow.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hmmm….could it be that they never legally married!

The following is all I was able to find – perhaps it might give you a few more leads….

LEE, Walter – Sgt 1790, 11th Bn / 51st Bn

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8195286

Enlisted 18/1/1915 (single) – KIA 15/8/1916 France

Born c1888 Yorkshire

Religion: Methodist

Wife: Florence Kate Lee, address 29/6/1917: C/- Central Methodist Mission, Perth

She was listed as his wife on the embarkation roll 19/4/1915 – their address at time: 90 Wittenoom St, East Perth, WA

[No official record, or mention of the actual marriage found anywhere]

Extract from Red Cross Wounded & Missing file:

“He was a great friend of mine and I have already sent this information to his wife who is now staying with Lee’s people in Norfolk.  Sgt Lee used to be a Non-conformist Minister at Harvey, W. Australia.”  L/Cpl E.M. Grime, 3346 (Jan 31, 1917)

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 15 Nov 1913 (p.4):

Personal

We have pleasure in announcing the engagement of Miss Flossie Sutton, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W.J. Sutton, of “Jardup”, Harvey, to the Rev. Walter Lee, in charge of the Harvey Methodist Circuit.

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 19 Sept 1914 (p.2):

News and Notes

Patriotism – The Patriotism of the ministers of the Methodist Church may be seen in the fact that three of their number are leaving Australia for the war having enlisted in the ranks of the privates.  The last to date to do this is the Rev Walter Lee of Harvey.  He has resigned his pastorate which will be now undertaken by the Rev. Mr Lindup late of England.

The Murchison Times and……….. (Cue, WA), Wed 23 Jun 1915 (p.3):

EX-CUEITE AT THE FRONT

……………………………………………………………………

Mr Wilson has also received a letter from Mr Walter Lee, who was at Cue for some [time] as a missionary in charge of the Cue Methodist Circuit.  He volunteered for active service from Harvey, and is now at the front.

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 30 Sept 1916 (p.5):

Free Church Notes

News has been received from the front that Mr Walter Lee, late Home Mission of the Harvey Methodist Church, is missing.  His splendid courage and soldierly qualities won for him the rank of sergeant.

The Daily News (Perth, WA), Sat 30 Sept 1916 (p.12):

MILITARY INQUIRY

MISSING NEXT OF KIN

The military authorities are anxious to trace the next of kin of a Number 1790 Sergt W. Lee, 51st (late 11th) Battalion, given as the wife, Mrs F.K. Lee, of 90 Wittenoom-street, East Perth.

The West Australian (Perth, WA), Wed 15 Aug 1917 (p.1):

IN MEMORIAM

Anzac Heroes

LEE – In proud and loving memory of Walter Lee (late of Harvey), 51st Battalion, formerly 11th, who made the last great sacrifice on the battlefields of France, August 15, 1916.

– Inserted by one who loved him.

Florence Kate Sutton born 1892 Mandurah, WA – daughter of William John Sutton & Florence Cecilia Logue

Flossie still referred to as single in Feb 1916: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/80889080

Listed on the electoral rolls as a spinster living with her parents from 1915 to 1925

Florence Kate Sutton married Edward Dowell Eames 1926 WA

She was still living Harvey in 1968

Died 1969 WA

Her father’s Obit 1936: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/149624218

13 hours ago, rksimpson said:

HI Peter

Nothing here either - http://www.bdm.dotag.wa.gov.au/_apps/pioneersindex/default.aspx

Thinking outside the box, is it possible he married somewhere else, his wife was living there, when he signed up he put his mum, but then his wife moved to WA, and he changed it??

regards

Robert

PS beat me by that much!!!!

Thanks for the search, i suppose it is possible, all a bit of a mystery Robert!

11 hours ago, alf mcm said:

Hello Peter,

This might not be relevant, but Findmypast has a record {basic details only} showing that Florence K. Lee married James Steer in Sydney in 1919. There is a good chance this was Walter's widow.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Alf, i had not seen that, and yes a good chance.

Well done Frev, I think you have found the reason, great work.

regards

Robert

2 hours ago, frev said:

Hmmm….could it be that they never legally married!

The following is all I was able to find – perhaps it might give you a few more leads….

LEE, Walter – Sgt 1790, 11th Bn / 51st Bn

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=8195286

Enlisted 18/1/1915 (single) – KIA 15/8/1916 France

Born c1888 Yorkshire

Religion: Methodist

Wife: Florence Kate Lee, address 29/6/1917: C/- Central Methodist Mission, Perth

She was listed as his wife on the embarkation roll 19/4/1915 – their address at time: 90 Wittenoom St, East Perth, WA

[No official record, or mention of the actual marriage found anywhere]

Extract from Red Cross Wounded & Missing file:

“He was a great friend of mine and I have already sent this information to his wife who is now staying with Lee’s people in Norfolk.  Sgt Lee used to be a Non-conformist Minister at Harvey, W. Australia.”  L/Cpl E.M. Grime, 3346 (Jan 31, 1917)

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 15 Nov 1913 (p.4):

Personal

We have pleasure in announcing the engagement of Miss Flossie Sutton, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs W.J. Sutton, of “Jardup”, Harvey, to the Rev. Walter Lee, in charge of the Harvey Methodist Circuit.

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 19 Sept 1914 (p.2):

News and Notes

Patriotism – The Patriotism of the ministers of the Methodist Church may be seen in the fact that three of their number are leaving Australia for the war having enlisted in the ranks of the privates.  The last to date to do this is the Rev Walter Lee of Harvey.  He has resigned his pastorate which will be now undertaken by the Rev. Mr Lindup late of England.

The Murchison Times and……….. (Cue, WA), Wed 23 Jun 1915 (p.3):

EX-CUEITE AT THE FRONT

……………………………………………………………………

Mr Wilson has also received a letter from Mr Walter Lee, who was at Cue for some [time] as a missionary in charge of the Cue Methodist Circuit.  He volunteered for active service from Harvey, and is now at the front.

Southern Times (Bunbury, WA), Sat 30 Sept 1916 (p.5):

Free Church Notes

News has been received from the front that Mr Walter Lee, late Home Mission of the Harvey Methodist Church, is missing.  His splendid courage and soldierly qualities won for him the rank of sergeant.

The Daily News (Perth, WA), Sat 30 Sept 1916 (p.12):

MILITARY INQUIRY

MISSING NEXT OF KIN

The military authorities are anxious to trace the next of kin of a Number 1790 Sergt W. Lee, 51st (late 11th) Battalion, given as the wife, Mrs F.K. Lee, of 90 Wittenoom-street, East Perth.

The West Australian (Perth, WA), Wed 15 Aug 1917 (p.1):

IN MEMORIAM

Anzac Heroes

LEE – In proud and loving memory of Walter Lee (late of Harvey), 51st Battalion, formerly 11th, who made the last great sacrifice on the battlefields of France, August 15, 1916.

– Inserted by one who loved him.

Florence Kate Sutton born 1892 Mandurah, WA – daughter of William John Sutton & Florence Cecilia Logue

Flossie still referred to as single in Feb 1916: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/80889080

Listed on the electoral rolls as a spinster living with her parents from 1915 to 1925

Florence Kate Sutton married Edward Dowell Eames 1926 WA

She was still living Harvey in 1968

Died 1969 WA

Her father’s Obit 1936: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/149624218

Hello Frev,

Thanks for taking the time to do all those searches, you have found some interesting information, it really is appreciated.

I have to be honest though, I still don’t know what to make of it, is it possible that they were not legally married?

Frev, can anyone search the Southern Times? I ask because Walter Lee’s remains were finally recovered (prior to 1923) and I was wondering if this might have gotten a mention, probably a real longshot that though.

Just one other question, was the Southern Times the “local” newspaper for Harvey (WA)? And did this or any other newspaper regularly print photographs of any of those soldiers who were killed/wounded etc.?  

Thanks once again for all you help, it really is appreciated,

Kind regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter

As far as the marriage goes, it doesn't appear to have gone ahead (legally) based on the info found so far - but who knows....

The Southern Times was produced in Bunbury, which is not too far from Harvey (check google maps) - but it has only been digitized up to 1916.

Many of the newspapers printed photos of soldiers (this is hit and miss), and I couldn't find one for Walter.

You can search all the Australian papers that have been digitized here: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Might also be worth checking any Yorkshire papers too.

Best of luck with your search, Frev

5 hours ago, frev said:

Hi Peter

As far as the marriage goes, it doesn't appear to have gone ahead (legally) based on the info found so far - but who knows....

The Southern Times was produced in Bunbury, which is not too far from Harvey (check google maps) - but it has only been digitized up to 1916.

Many of the newspapers printed photos of soldiers (this is hit and miss), and I couldn't find one for Walter.

You can search all the Australian papers that have been digitized here: http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/

Might also be worth checking any Yorkshire papers too.

Best of luck with your search, Frev

Cheers Frev, i really appreciate all your help/advice. Pity about the Southern Times only going as far as 1916.

I spent several months trawling our local newspaper and unfortunately there was no picture of Walter published as far as i could see.

I have contacted Harvey History Online and they are trying to help, they are also baffled by the marriage though.

Once again thanks for all your help,

kind regards,

Peter.