Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Tank - 3rd Ypres

Gareth Davies

I am told that this photo was taken near Molenaarelsthoek which is just north of Reutel.  I don't have a date.  Can anyone identify the tank please?

5970eab0b77a0_MZ08246_01_LR.jpg.6a229941f5cd46277e2ad90d731ea796.jpg

I am afraid I have no idea.

The 12 looks to be a photographers code... and is there nothing on the back? I know, potentially a silly question as you haven't said so, but...

I haven't seen the original but I am pretty sure they checked. 

Good Evening

Is the first word on the photo looks like Flanders, and then looks like Muolenaurestwerk. can any body make out the word.

Regards 

Andy

It's Molenaarelsthoek as I posted in the OP.

Where have all the tank spotters gone?

Tank spotting... :rolleyes:

Not being a 'tank spotter' myself, I offer the following. This area was captured in October 1917 during the Battle of Broodseinde. I am not aware of any tanks that supported 1st Australian Division. The tanks were either near Poelcapelle or Reutel. The presence of undamaged homes and trees would not be consistent with Molenaarelsthoek during Third Ypres.

I don't know of any tanks operating in this area during the last weeks of the war.

Sorry not be more helpful.

Robert

Hi,

to me (deducing from other exemples I know) the "12" denotes 12th photo within a series of at least 12. It must have been taken shortly after the fighting, otherwise the KIA soldiers would already have been removed.

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

Ok with Roberts observation can I throw this into the mix, could it be a captured tank used by the Germans and subsequently knocked out by allied fire?

As I say just a thought.

As Robert says the countryside and buildings look relatively secure, the mud does not look very deep looks more like pugging from being trampled as far as I can see. The tank is sitting on the surface of the soil. The barbed wire looks like it has been dragged aside, folded back on itself - the tank has not driven over it. Can anyone see the uniforms - the bodies may not be contemporary with the tank? Any chance this is staged?

Is there a cross on the distant building?

Tank spotter here!  This isn't Flanders at all.  The tank is F27 'Fighting Mac II' lost at Bourlon during the Battle of Cambrai.

Gwyn

Gwyn

Is that the tank shown in German postcard/photo no. 25 taken from behind with another knocked out tank to its left? I believe that one shows the dead crew members.

John

12 minutes ago, Sidearm said:

Tank spotter here!  This isn't Flanders at all.  The tank is F27 'Fighting Mac II' lost at Bourlon during the Battle of Cambrai.

Gwyn

Thanks Gwyn. 

3 hours ago, Knotty said:

Gwyn

Is that the tank shown in German postcard/photo no. 25 taken from behind with another knocked out tank to its left? I believe that one shows the dead crew members.

John

I'm sorry John, I don't recognise it from that description, but Fighting Mac II was lost in a group of five or six tanks and often others appear in the background of photographs.  They were well photographed, including from the air,  so we have quite a good collection of pictures.   

Gwyn

That's the one, I have it downloaded in a folder of postcards.

So the writer of that card wanted to lead us on the wrong track...

But it was solved brilliant! Chapeau!

In that case, I might as well post the rest of The Prussian/Sidearm's previous thread on these tanks. Some fascinating photographs.

Edited by IPT

• 2 months later...
On 23/07/2017 at 21:26, Knotty said:

Gwyn

Hello a very kind Gentleman sent me this report written by the Commander of F27  Fighting Mac

This was found in Kew and lists a relative of mine being on the crew.

Edward Haslam Tyson was believed captured however was reported KIA days later. He had no known grave. The picture on here of Fighting Mac is very haunting in that it might Show the remains of Edward. 

FB_IMG_1506291566689.jpg.ce000ec5bf9dfc857488adc6660b09d4.jpg

FB_IMG_1506291990935.jpg.11a753118c32002e20176d2e9ce8323b.jpg