Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4132 Pte Robert Hawkshaw KOYLI died 3rd July 1916 - info help please

brett361975

I am trying to find any further information regarding Private Robert Hawkshaw 1/5th K.O.Y.L.I who died of wounds on the 3rd July 1916 aged 27.

I can find very little information regarding the 1/5th at the Somme apart from the Battalion suffering terrible losses. Would anyone happen to have the war diarys for the battalion please ?

Also apart from the details from the C.W.G.C referance his resting place and family details I have very little knowledge about this man. A work collegue has asked me to look and see if I can find any information of his relative, is anyone able to help with any information please ?

Kindest regards and thanks in advance

Brett

There are several family trees on Ancestry which include Robert Hawkshaw. I can provide the links if you like. There are also his MIC etc on there.

In summary, he was born in the first quarter of 1888 at or near Oldham in Lancashire. His father was Robert Hawkshaw (1858-1913) and his mother was  Eliza Fish (1857-1895).

At the 1911 census, Robert was living with his father and step-mother (Anna Maria) and younger sister, Edith, at Cawthorne, near Barnsley in Yorkshire. Both father and son were employed as coalminers.

Robert died of his wounds at No 3 CCS according to  the Registers of Soldiers' Effects. His effects were paid to his siblings, William, Lillie (Woodward) and Edith (Jukes).

His MIC says that he first entered a theatre of war on 25 December 1915 (Happy Christmas).

His war gratuity was £4 10s, which I calculate means that he enlisted in about May 1915.

I hope this is of help

David

Edited by David Earley

Hi

very little in the WD

At 6pm on Saturday 1 July 1916 his battalion moved from their assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood to assist in an attack on Thiepval on the first day of the Battle of Somme. Not being required they were directed to relieve units in Thiepval Wood.

During the course of the day 20 casualties were taken to German artillery bombardment.

The War Diary records,

“1 July 1916 - Arrival in assembly trenches at 3am without any casualties. The bombardment was very intense. The battalion moved out of the trenches about 6pm orders having been received to assist the 32nd Division in the attack on Thiepval. On arrival at Black Horse bridge this order was cancelled. Shell fire caused 20 casualties.

At 11.30pm the battalion was ordered to take over the line east of Thiepval wood and arrived at the ??? when this order was cancelled as 36th Division had evacuated the enemy trenches. The assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood were again occupied between 3 and 4am on the 2nd.”

The following 2 days were spent in training at Croix Barbee so (whilst not an exact science) he was probably wounded on 1 July.

Regards,

Graeme

Hi,

On 20/07/2017 at 17:18, GraemeClarke said:

At 11.30pm the battalion was ordered to take over the line east of Thiepval wood and arrived at the when this order was cancelled as 36th Division had evacuated the enemy trenches. The assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood were again occupied between 3 and 4am on the 2nd.”

Image source: Ancestry.co.uk, war diary collection

Bluff.jpg.86c3f15e5c0f30d2f43f7c324ed56930.jpg

N. Bluff ?? - North Bluff

Regards

Chris

i see that his name has come up on this forum before -

Is this your man? Clipping from Sheffield daily Telegraph 2.9.16 listing missing from the Barnsley area.

IR

hawkshaw.PNG.4ea87672ff4dcb152f932b8bb1d463fe.PNG

An R hawkshaw is mentioned on the war memorial at Cawthorne as listed on Barnsley War Memorial Project http://www.barnsleywarmemorials.org.uk/search?q=hawkshaw. Might be worth getting in contact with them to see if they have come across him. They appear to have access to local newspapers which might carry further information.

There is a history of the KOYLI's in WW1 for sale at http://www.naval-military-press.com/king-s-own-yorkshire-light-infantry-in-the-great-war-1914-1918.html and Doncaster Council appear to have some ongoing project which given that 1/5th were based in the town will no doubt feature the battalion http://www.doncaster1914-18.org.uk/koyli/ 

IR

Edited by ilkley remembers

Hi

Cannot see where I got training from ??

The War Diary records,

“1 July 1916 - Arrival in assembly trenches at 3am without any casualties. The bombardment was very intense. The battalion moved out of the trenches about 6pm orders having been received to assist the 32nd Division in the attack on Thiepval. On arrival at Black Horse bridge this order was cancelled. Shell fire caused 20 casualties.

At 11.30pm the battalion was ordered to take over the line east of Thiepval wood and arrived at the North Bluff when this order was cancelled as 36th Division had evacuated the enemy trenches. The assembly trenches in Aveluy Wood were again occupied between 3 and 4am on the 2nd.”

2 July 1916 - The battalion ordered to take over the Thiepval Wood sector of trenches, Relieve to 9th R.I.R.s. Relief completed about 9pm without casualty.

3 July 1916 - “C” and “D” Companies relieve two companies of the 4th Yorks and Lancs in the German ‘A’ line of trenches. The night was quiet and there were no casualties.

4 July 1916 - Heavy rain. Enemy made several attacks on our advanced positions which were repelled after several bombing encounters. Lt. J.N. Walker was killed by a shell near Paisley Dump. His body was not found until the following day.

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

thank you all very much for all the information and referance points. Really is very much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Brett