Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Cameronian Scottish Rifles

sunflower

Prvte Lenaghan was killed on 18th July 1916, commemorated on Thiepval. Does anyone have info on the battle at  Longueval. It would appear the 9th Cameronians Scottish Rifles attacked the west side of the village. I am keen to find up when he joined up, in fact, any info on him would be appreciated. I think about 18 to 20 were killed that day from the 9th.

Many thanks

Pte Patrick Lenaghan, 12007, 9 SR.

According to Soldiers Died in the Great War he was born in Govan and enlisted in Glasgow (ancestry). I suspect that the latter is true, but am suspicious of the former.

He may be in the 1891 census in Govan (aged 3) living with his parents Michael and Mary Lenahan. If that is him, according to the census he was born in Ireland. (ancestry again)

According to the death record (scotlandspeople index) he was 29 when he was killed, meaning he was born about 1887.

The Register of Soldiers' Effects indicates that his gratuity went to his widow, Jessie as sole legatee (ancestry). This means there should be a will, which there is (scotlandspeople index).

He married Jessie Taylor in 1911 in Govan (scotlandspeople index).

He landed in France on 12 May 1915, the date of the first arrival of 9 SR in France (Medal Rolls Index Card - ancestry).

He may have attempted to enlist as a regular in 1908. There is a soldier's record for Patrick Lenaghan, 10654, Seaforth Highlanders. He was discharged after three months as unlikely to become an efficient soldier. He gave his father as Michael and said that he was born in the Barony, Glasgow (findmypast).

I don't have a copy of Craig's excellent calculator on this computer. Using that it should be possible calculate the enlistment date from the gratuity (in the Register of Soldiers' Effects).

I hope this some help.

RM

Hi sunflower,

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

I don't have a copy of Craig's excellent calculator on this computer. Using that it should be possible calculate the enlistment date from the gratuity (in the Register of Soldiers' Effects).

Craig's calculator gives estimated service counting from August 1914. Some near number sampling of men that do have surviving papers show that 12003 Balshaw, 12004 Boal, and 12005 Brown all enlisted on 17th August 1914. So 12007 Lenaghan probably enlisted on that date, or very shortly after.

7 hours ago, sunflower said:

Does anyone have info on the battle at  Longueval.

Have you seen the Battalion, Brigade HQ, and Division HQ war diaries that are available on Ancestry, or from the National Archives?

Regards

Chris

thank you both so much for this. this is excellent. I did come across something about soldiers from 'Ballycastle' so guessing he was born in Ireland before moving to Govan. Interesting that he may have joined up early but that would tally with some other men he was killed alongside, one was a Neil McBride, Service No 11875. Reckon best thing to to get war diary for the action at Longueval to see what happened to him. He has no known grave.