Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

279th Coy ASC Western front or Gallipoli ?

pauldarran63

In books about the ASC it has been recorded that the 279 coy ASC served on the western front. I have over the last few months been looking at this Coy roll attached to the RND on Gallipoli. It seems that this Coy did serve on Gallipoli. 

W.E Peers  279 coy  Cape Helles  25/04/15.disembarked Egypt  27th march 1915. MID

J.A Darran 279 coy  Disembarked Egypt  27 march 1915.

Walter Barter 279 coy died 7 June 1915 ANZAC , his disembarkation in Egypt  says 8 march, but looking at the other it was the date they left England.

George Thomas Compton 279 coy disembarked Egypt  27th march 1915

Albert Evans 279 coy disembarked Egypt 27 march 1915.

That is interesting Paul.

Michael Young's book  says they were Western Front, 11th Division Divisional Supply Column (HT), and Western Front, 31st Division, Train No 4 Coy.

He says it was formed 03 March 1915, and disbanded 03 June 1919.

Unfortunately there is no War Diary listed for this company.

Scanning quickly, I can see that he lists 275 & 276 Coys ar being with RND Division in Gallipoli. There may be others I haven't found yet.

Edit:

The only companies  mentioned  in the text are 428,429,430 & 431 Coys, all attached to 29th Division (at least that's how I interpret it, rather than 52nd Division). In the reference section, Young makes no mention of these companies being at Gallipoli, nor their attachment to 29th Division.

Elsewhere in the reference section, Coys 246-249 are listed as being at Gallipoli, with 29th Division, and 53rd (Welsh) Division.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

3 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That is interesting Paul.

Michael Young's book  says they were Western Front, 11th Division Divisional Supply Column (HT), and Western Front, 31st Division, Train No 4 Coy.

He says it was formed 03 March 1915, and disbanded 03 June 1919.

Unfortunately there is no War Diary listed for this company.

Scanning quickly, I can see that he lists 275 & 276 Coys ar being with RND Division in Gallipoli. There may be others I haven't found yet.

I will keep looking maybe I will find others as I bet someone else researching their ancestor will have  the same problem I had!! The problem I have now is where they were sent after Gallipoli. JA Darran stayed in Egypt  attached to the 53rd division but  as part of 279 coy who knows.

Establishment of RND 1915 WO95/4290

275th Co. ASC - SAA Column - 6 officers & 153 other ranks

vehicles and animals: 1 x water cart, 1 x Maltese cart, 2 x wagons GS First Line, 30 wagons GS, 22 riding horses, 145 draught mules

279th Co. ASC - Supply Co. - 7 officers & 244 other ranks

vehicles and animals: 1 x water cart, 1 x Maltese cart, 4 x wagons GS First Line, 60 wagons GS, 19 riding horses, 225 draught mules

Had a quick look at JA Darran's record- Not much evidence of him moving about from company to company.

My grandfather moved about 15 times through about 10 different companies in 18 months!

I just wonder whether it was possible that men from 279 were drafted to one of the other companies at Gallipoli, rather than the whole company moving out?

The absence of a WD is frustrating.

I suppose they could be referenced in 11th and 31st Division Diaries, and any transfer of the whole company from the Western Front to Gallipoli would surely be mentioned in them?

I have found during the last 4 or 5 years of WW1 research that you frequently cannot make definitive conclusions about things. When Michael Young wrote his book the service records weren't on line so he didn't have easy access to soldiers records. I would tend to agree with Dai the men you have found may have been seconded to another unit in the Gallipoli theatre. Unfortunately we are trying to make a jigsaw with half the pieces missing.

I think your both right. W.E Peers of the 279 is dated as being on Cape Helles on the 25/04/15, but were the RND on Cape Helles on the 25 April, Walter barter 279 died on the 7th June on ANZAC again were the RND at Anzac in June

Paul

Becke's Order of Battle of Divisions, Part 3B has the company joining the RND in late March 1915 for Gallipoli, and staying there until mid-March 1916 when they were posted to join 31st Divisional Train in France. (In fact it may have joined 31 Div in Egypt, where the division spent a couple of months in early 1916 before going to France.)

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

My great etc stayed and was attached to the 3rd welsh Ambulance then 171 Indian combined  field ambulance. I'm sort of glad he did really. ok he was a driver with the 3rd Ambulance in the Palestine campaign & got malaria , but at 42 in France from 16 to 18 it could have been a lot worse.

Thanks everybody for the info as regards the 279 & their movements. it helps a lot.

Paul

Info which may be useful, from Len Sellers' magazine RND No.2, Sept 1997

ASC Co. No 279, Supply Co. 

7 officers & 244 O/ranks

1 x Water Cart

1 x Maltese Cart

4 x Wagons GS First Line

60 x Wagon GS

19 Riding Horses

225 Draught Mules

Len gives the ref as WO95/4290 and the date as 14/15 April 1915

I hope that this is of help

Michael

OOPS! On re-reading in less of a rush, I see that you already have this info

However it is worth noting the date for this list [14/15 APR 1915]

Edited by michaeldr

• 1 year later...
On ‎25‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:49, gaffa said:

I read somewhere that the 279 where part of the RND and embarked Avonmouth 8th March 1915 on the Minnitonka, Can someone verify this please.

Gaffa

The Embarkation and Disembarkation records, WO 25/3535, indicate that the 279th Coy ASC were on the Minnitonka at Avonmouth on 8th March 1915 which sailed he same day.

Officers, Major John D. Buller, Lieutenant N.H. Barton, 2nd Lieutenant J.H. Heyman, 2nd Lieutenant N Steer. Medical Officer Temporary Lieutenant M.S.Scanlon RAMC, Veterinary Officer Lieutenant J. Scott AVD. 1st Class Warrant Officer S.M. Pearce. Also 9 NCOs, 7 Corporals, 225 Drivers along with 19 horses and 285 mules. There were a mixture of other units on board.

Apologies in advance for any mis-transcription, the handwriting on the record is not 100% clear.

Alan

Edited by alantwo

Thanks Alan, however that does not quite put him in in the 279th. Just got to work out the rest now. I put part of his diary on the other Forum 

John

On 19/07/2017 at 11:03, pauldarran63 said:

In books about the ASC it has been recorded that the 279 coy ASC served on the western front. I have over the last few months been looking at this Coy roll attached to the RND on Gallipoli. It seems that this Coy did serve on Gallipoli. 

W.E Peers  279 coy  Cape Helles  25/04/15.disembarked Egypt  27th march 1915. MID

J.A Darran 279 coy  Disembarked Egypt  27 march 1915.

Walter Barter 279 coy died 7 June 1915 ANZAC , his disembarkation in Egypt  says 8 march, but looking at the other it was the date they left England.

George Thomas Compton 279 coy disembarked Egypt  27th march 1915

Albert Evans 279 coy disembarked Egypt 27 march 1915.

Do you have Edwin Williams T4/053842 mentioned