Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ruadhan Scrivener-Anderson

It has been established in previous threads that pipers during the Great War were issued with revolvers rather than rifles, something which had occured officially since 1882. However, does anyone know what other equipment / parts of webbing pipers did carry or were exempt from carrying. I have noticed that in "The Guns of Loos" Piper Daniel Laidlaw is not carrying an entrenching tool. Though this could be a mistake in the film, it seems to me quite likely that pipers could have been allowed to disguard this hinderence. Also, does anyone have any pictures which show a dirk attached to a 1908 or 1914 webbing belt? 

Hello Ruadhan, and welcome to the Forum!

The following information is from the Equipment Regulations, Part 2, 1914.

Pipers were equipped with a pistol in a case, and an ammunition pouch, both worn on the waist belt which was a special pattern to reflect the different equipment attached to it. A dirk loop was also fastened to the belt. Also pipers did not carry entrenching tools, so the film got it right.

There was a pair of special brace attachments which were worn instead of the normal rifle ammunition pouches.

I'm afraid that I don't have any illustrations, but another Forum Pal may well have some.

Ron

Thank you very much for this Ron, I'm trying to put together a replica of a Black Watch Pipe Major's uniform so this is very helpful.

The 1st photo below is a WW1 photo of The Highland Cyclist Battn Pipes & Drums who dressed identically to the Black Watch.  At the front is actually the Sergeant Piper (Pipe Major) presently acting as the Drum Major.  He wears no dirk, but the piper behind him does.

The 2nd photo shows the Pipes & Drums of a Territorial Battn of The Black Watch.  No dirks in evidence.

The 3rd image has a pipe band of an unidentified battalion of The Black Watch.  The PM is in evidence in the left foreground.  No equipment being worn here.

Sources: my collection

596e811d5f94b_HCBPipes-DrumsWW1.jpg.cbc6a7fc2e4c1578c2df032d8a7561a5.jpg

596e819ad3831_BWTerrpipes-drums1916-1918.jpg.b699a203838260c9e61d5e206f93968d.jpg

596e820170c57_BWPipeBandc1914.jpg.3d505007eb57af7e3030d223e429f482.jpg

This may be useful. Note the E Tool handle would not be worn by Pipers-I have this as part of a MGC display 

IMG_6998.jpg.30c1a833d84df72b077ea944a4529ea2.jpg

Rear fittings

IMG_6997.jpg.eb847d4b58ada874c45a903493308c24.jpg

Thanks everyone, this is very helpful.

Here is another one.......not a piper but a bandsman.  Shows 08 web belt with dirk.

Source: my collection

596fd5792c8d1_1BWBandsmanJJMerritRobertsBarracksQuetta1925.jpg.d36b7c76b41a660ecc3b31387045a461.jpg

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resuscitating this old thread, but the question posed here is one I have had as well as I am seeking to build up a set of Great War piper equipment . Terrific to see the bandsman photo, as it shows the dirk loop to good effect. The site  "Imagine Antigonish" has the image below which shows a piper with the dirk affixed to the P08 equipment.

Piper-WW1.jpeg

An apparently relatively recent addition to the KarkeeWeb website (at least I hadn't seen it until recently) is a pattern for the "Loop, dirk" which shows its construction.  http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1908/1908_pistol.html#dirk That information allowed me to impose upon a friend with an industrial sewing machine and some spare repro P08 webbing to work up a reproduction of the frog. Here are a couple of images. He did a great job in my view given we didn't have exact dimensions.

dirk frog_zoom.jpg

dirk frog_P08.jpg

2 hours ago, RangeRover said:

Sorry for resuscitating this old thread, but the question posed here is one I have had as well as I am seeking to build up a set of Great War piper equipment . Terrific to see the bandsman photo, as it shows the dirk loop to good effect. The site  "Imagine Antigonish" has the image below which shows a piper with the dirk affixed to the P08 equipment.

Piper-WW1.jpeg

An apparently relatively recent addition to the KarkeeWeb website (at least I hadn't seen it until recently) is a pattern for the "Loop, dirk" which shows its construction.  http://www.karkeeweb.com/patterns/1908/1908_pistol.html#dirk That information allowed me to impose upon a friend with an industrial sewing machine and some spare repro P08 webbing to work up a reproduction of the frog. Here are a couple of images. He did a great job in my view given we didn't have exact dimensions.

dirk frog_zoom.jpg

dirk frog_P08.jpg

If memory serves me correct, the first photo is not actually from WW1, but was staged later. 

It is a 're-enactment of Loos' featuring Piper (later Pipe-Major) Daniel Logan Laidlaw, VC (b.1875 d. 1950) of the 7th Bn. KOSB.

Just happens to have his headwear with KOSB badge to the fore.  He possibly could have worn a dirk in the field, but don't take it as being so...based on that photo. 

Edited by Ron Abbott

It has the look of a film production, for sure Ron. Thanks.

On 09/02/2020 at 06:33, RangeRover said:

Piper-WW1.jpeg

dirk frog_zoom.jpg

dirk frog_P08.jpg

He wouldn't have to have made two by any chance?

Worth asking, nicely done.

Robert

22 hours ago, 4thVBGH said:

He wouldn't have to have made two by any chance?

Worth asking, nicely done.

Robert

Yes, it turned out really well. I will ask if he wants to turn out another one. Stand by. I'll send you a message when I hear back.