Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Warloy-Baillon Community Cemetery Extension

Bardess

It seems that there are no IWGC documents for quite a number of casualties buried in the above. Can they be traced please?

CWGC.jpg.41328553b9bbb1a2f6c1cb8814dd2f6d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Bardess said:

It seems that there are no IWGC documents for quite a number of casualties buried in the above. Can they be traced please?

CWGC.jpg

Which forms in particular ? - The Grave registration returns etc ?

Craig

No, Craig, the other two which lists the details of what is to be inscribed and, page 2 sometimes has the inscription and parents/family name and address

11 minutes ago, Bardess said:

No, Craig, the other two which lists the details of what is to be inscribed and, page 2 sometimes has the inscription and parents/family name and address

Ah, ok, get you now. I wonder why they don't show up for the graves in that cemetery, it might need a request to the CWGC to find out why as I thought all of them were online.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

My great uncle is at Warloy, and his documents are also missing.

CWGC only added those records a year or so ago and so I had never thought to look at them until now.

Let's hope they can be found.

BillyH.

Oh dear...

"Dear Diane

Thank you for your email.

We would explain that sadly the archival documents for Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension are not complete. What available on our website it is what we hold in our records.

We hope you find this information useful."

55 minutes ago, Bardess said:

Oh dear...

"Dear Diane

Thank you for your email.

We would explain that sadly the archival documents for Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension are not complete. What available on our website it is what we hold in our records.

We hope you find this information useful."

That's a pity - I'm very surprised that any of the CWGC records have missing / destroyed.

Craig

someone (archivist) has probably filed away incorrectly or has it on a pile of 'to do' on their desk

I imagine that CWGC only added these papers to the database a year or so ago in order to reduce the number of queries from people like us?

We can now look up concentration records, or see what epitaph may have been requested, for example - without taking up their valuable time.

BillyH.