Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistance requested - what is this Russian document?

delta

Grateful for assistance in identifying the country of origin, language and meaning of this document dated July 1919

It was found amongst the papers of a Tank Corps officer who was serving in "south Russia" providing training support to the White Russian forces in the Georgia and Crimean areas.

596d3270d9cb8_billJul1919.png.2cf1df7365e0889fb15751e275de3acf.jpg.bcd20556bcc49c8be56ee9e15df1d34a.jpg

Enlarged and inverted versions ...

596d3270d9cb8_billJul1919.png.2cf1df7365e0889fb15751e275de3acf.png

596d502a3b980_596d3270d9cb8_billJul1919.png.2cf1df7365e0889fb15751e275de3acf-Copy.jpg.a4a16d1fcb93b3a8ef8def0381d0705b.jpg

Could be cyrillic?

Mark

It's Russian - probably White Russian because it doesn't incorporate the Revolutionary spelling reforms of 1917.
My knowledge of Russian is very basic, but it seems to be some sort of pass/authorization for a British officer issued by the [something]-Dubrovskiy brewery in Novorossiysk.
I can only read isolated words, but not enough to make any sense of it, I'm afraid.
I hope a Russian speaker can help you further! I'd be interested to know what it says!

Adrian

That certainly fits the bill - thank you.

The Tank Corps officer, Capt Frank Tubby Shaw unloaded British tanks (11 whippets and 18 Mark V) at Novorossiysk  before setting up tank training, for the white Russians battle practice ground” at Taganrog

Possibly Tunny was also responsible for procuring rations including beer for the training team,

I will adjust the thread title to see if we can get further.. 

Delta

Do you have the book "A somewhat unusual journey" - Victoria Station to Taganrog.  A War Office Mission to Russia 1919 Major H S Sayer?  It is a book that gives an account of the mission to South Russia in 1919 to assess and help organise the development of the Russian Tank Corps.  Major Sayer was sent there in July 1919.  On page 91 of the book there is a nominal roll of officers NCO's and men of the detachment.  It lists Capt. R F Shaw as Battle Practice and Whippet Driving Instructor.  I assume this is your man.

The book gives a good insight into the mission and thus some background as to what was going on at the time Shaw was there.

Tanks3

Alwyn

One of the books on my "to buy" list.

Stephen 

Two pictures of Tubby

In 1916 as a gunner

596e61d24bb1c_Tubbycopyright.JPG.4bd6a930ca1b7059adb8a7037c6a8f9a.JPG

and after commissiining

596e6220bc125_Tubby1919.jpg.0bd56c3cf0b7a8f778bafd45c0179896.jpg

Mark, I've sent this to my Russianist friend and hope she will be able to help.

Will let you know if I get an answer.

All best wishes,

sJ

Thank you Sea Jane - greatly appreciated 

11 hours ago, seaJane said:

Mark, I've sent this to my Russianist friend and hope she will be able to help.

Will let you know if I get an answer.

All best wishes,

sJ

Thanks sJ, but this is Stephen's baby really - I was just helping with the images.  Definitely looking forward to any translation though :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need even bigger versions or want any other graphics jiggery-pokery tried out (that's to Stephen and sJ)

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

Oops apologies Stephen!

Почт.Телеграмма
Новороссийскъ Полковнику Дубровскому
Пивоваренный 3аводъ
Прибывшему английскому офицеру выдайте мотоцикл для танкового дивизiона
№ мотоцикла и ведомость сдачи
впишите сюда
16/ 7-14 г.(или 19?)

Подпись не разобрать

Post Office Telegram
To Colonel Dubrovsky, Novorossisk
The Brewery

Provide the English officer who has arrived with a motorcycle for the tank division
Insert the motorcyle number and registration of the handover here

16/7/ 1914 ??

[Signature illegible]

16/7/19 would probably make more sense, especially given the reference to tanks.

Ron

I can see that a 4 and a 9 could be confusable, yes.

Thanks to my friend for passing it to a Russian contact!

My dear Mark, Adrian and Jane

IM OVERWHELMED

Thank you so much to you all for your help and, Jane,  please pass on my sincere thanks to your "Russianist friend".

The message was sent in 1919.  The English officer was from Stafford and was an instructor with the British Training Team. I would guess that the motorcycle was either used for despatch purposes or it could have been used as a mount for the section commander.

Thanks once again for all of your help