Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr Stefanie Linden They Called It Shell Shock Combat Stress in the First World War

John Gilinsky

Dr. Stefanie Linden published earlier this year her book (results of her Ph.D. research), viz.:  "They Called It Shellshock: Combat Stress in the First World War"  Solihull, England:  Helion & Company 2016 (but I believe Feb 2017 actual publication date?)  ISBN:  9781911096351.  She is a practicing psychiatrist in Wales, has previously investigated historical civilian peacetime psychiatric patient files and it is stated that her book above uses over 600 WWI contemporary soldier patient files from both Great Britain and Germany war hospitals (she focussed on a few such including London, England and Berlin and Jena, Germany hospitals).  Has anyone read, investigated or assessed her sources, methodologies in particular?  Does anyone have any suggestions, criticisms or recommendations for improvements for her book?

I have read and reviewed it. In my opinion It would be a very brave or foolish non professional who could recommend improvements to an impressive piece of research and analysis