Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Army Medical Service Equivalents

Hedley Malloch

What were the French army titles for 'Field Ambulance', 'Casualty Clearing Station', and 'Base Hospital', please?

The question assumes that medical services in the French army were organised along similar lines to that of the British army.  Which may or may not be true.

Many thanks for all help received.

Hedley

There is a very good book, all in French, Le Service De Sante aux Armees  pendant la Premiere Guerre Mondiale. Published in 2008. I bought a copy at Theipval a couple of years ago. On page 202 it has a diagram of the French system of evacuation but quite a small diagram and I do not think it will scan well. See if you can find a copy of the book anywhere if not message me but I am just going away for a week.

Pete

There is also a book, "Le Service de Santé 1914-1918" by Marc Morillon, which has a diagram (this may be the same book), ISBN 978-2-7587-0116-3. It was published in 2014.

6 hours ago, healdav said:

There is also a book, "Le Service de Santé 1914-1918" by Marc Morillon, which has a diagram (this may be the same book), ISBN 978-2-7587-0116-3. It was published in 2014.

Appears not to be the same book; the one Pete cites is by Professeur Alain LARCAN & médecin en chef Jean-Jacques FERRANDIS. 

Best regards,

sJ

David, Peter, McSwan, SeaJane - many thanks.