Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Octavia Leonie Henrietta Ashworth

ralphjd

Helping my friend research casualties from the Ramsbottom area, and I cannot for the life of me find the burial place for this lady, served as a volunteer nurse and died of typhoid in Egypt no 15 Gen Hospital on the 15th July 1915 she was born in Belgium a linguist lived Whitefield and married Edmund Ashworth in 1907 maiden name was Neutkens. Any body out there that can help. Pleeeese. Ralph.

Edited by ralphjd

I remember we discussed her some time back but didn't come up with a definitive answer then......

Many thanks Steven, we will have to accept that iher last resting place is unknown. Ralph.

• 2 months later...

Weren't members of the Chinese Labour Corps classed as civilians? What about merchant seamen? As I understand it, certain civilian groups were deemed entitled to 'war graves treatment' including war correspondents and fishermen. It seems unfair that volunteer nurses like Leonie Ashworth were denied this honour. Members of the Friends Ambulance Service deservedly have war graves-why not the nurses?.

Edited by Mark Hone

Similarly Scottish Women's Hospital members. Right or not, that is how it is. By the way, I would have thought that the Chinese Labour Corps were military rather than civilian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 15/10/2017 at 11:52, Jim Strawbridge said:

Similarly Scottish Women's Hospital members. Right or not, that is how it is. By the way, I would have thought that the Chinese Labour Corps were military rather than civilian.

Jim

The CLC were civilians, in fact contract workers, but the British authorities deemed it  fit to put them under military law.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves