Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A 'Driver' in WW1

nickmj

Evening all. I recently discovered that my Grandfather was a Driver for the 1st London Regiment for about 18 months from March 1915 serving from northern France down to the Somme. What exactly would have been the duties of a Driver obviously apart from driving, but driving what etc. Any info gratefully received.

Could be horses or vehicles. Do you have service number or have you found him on a census which might give an occupation.

He was Private 1319, Regimental Number 200126, He was a boiler worker before signing up. 

To the best of my knowledge, Infantry battalions did not have mechanical transport in the Great War. Therefore he is likely to have been a driver of a horse in the transport platoon. The horses drew small wagons carrying ammunition or  the cook's trailer.  

For a first hand source on the roles, get hold a copy of "Four years on the Western Front" bu Aubrey Smith who was in the Transport Platoon of 1/5th London Regiment

There are lots of reprint available including 

http://www.naval-military-press.com/four-years-on-the-western-front.html

Can you give his name so I can look for any service records? Did he survive the war?

11 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Can you give his name so I can look for any service records? Did he survive the war?

No service record on FMP or Ancestry. 

I think Delta is correct. Horse driver for the battalion transport (1st London - R.F).

A.S.C drove motor transport.

Edited by GWF1967

1 hour ago, delta said:

For a first hand source on the roles, get hold a copy of "Four years on the Western Front" bu Aubrey Smith who was in the Transport Platoon of 1/5th London Regiment

There are lots of reprint available including 

http://www.naval-military-press.com/four-years-on-the-western-front.html

There is an interesting topic about the author

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks for all your replies, yes he did survive the war but there are no service records online as he was probably a victim of the burnt records. I only found out about his service after meeting up with a long lost cousin recently who had some papers. He was Albert George Housden and a regular soldier who signed up in 1909. After being a Driver and coming home after 18 months on the front he was a Groom in the Army and described as a 'first class shot' on his 'certificate of employment during the war', so must have fired a rifle in battle? 

Quite likely he saw action, either before or during his time as a driver. The Transport Platoon was a highly suitable place for an experienced ex Regular as he would have understood the needs of the role implicitly