Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt R Biggadike

glenda hewitt

Can anybody help me please.  I am researching my grandfather who was KIA 7/6/1917 battle of messines.  In the History of the Lincolnshire Regt 1914 - 1918

edited by Major General C R Simpson I cannot find  Riley Biggadike  name in the listings.  He is on panel 21 of the Menin Gate and is listed as KIA 7/6/1917 

although the book states that he died on the 8th June after bravely defending his post.

Just would like to clear this up and am disappointed that his name is not in the roll of honour

Thank you.

Glenda

Glenda

I am sure there are also others missing from the roll of honour

The book in question was wrote in the early 1930s well before computers were invented 

His name also appears to be missing from S.D.G.W  possibly, where the list of names in the rolls of honour, in the book

originated from

The good news is your grandfathers memorial death plaque is listed for sale  Here

maybe the family would like it returned

Ray

Hi Glenda

ForcesWarRecords details Serjeant #9514 Died 7/6/1917

A Company, 6th Btn Lincolnshire Rgt

The war diary on the National Archives is HERE for a £3.50 fee

Reference:WO 95/1817/2

Description:

6 Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

Date:1916 July - 1919 May

If you have access to Ancestry it is HERE with June 1917 on image 184/559, although poor to read.

The next few typed pages are better to read.

I couldn't spot any mention though.

There may be more detail in 33 brigade or 11th division diaries

regards

Jon

The war gratuity, as shown in the effects records, for Riley looks odd. On taking a closer look at the calculation it would suggest to me that he was serving on a regular enlistment.

EDIT:
My hunch was right, Riley had enlisted with the 1st Lincolnshire Bn in December 1912.
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007287651%2f00153&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7287651%2f9%2f152

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

3 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

My hunch was right, Riley had enlisted with the 1st Lincolnshire Bn in December 1912.

Additional confirmation  of early enlistment with accompanying  photo HERE

Ray

Curiously Riley,s service records show he was unmarried and had no children

His mother Elizabeth the sole legatee of his effects ?

Edited by RaySearching
additional info

Thank you all for your help.  Although I have caused some confusion.  My grandfather was A Martin KIA 7/6/1917 and is listed on the Menin Gate.   I believe him to be resting in Wytschete Military Cemetery, and I am trying to identify his grave.   I have found 1 grave just on the left hand side as you enter the cemetery and as the book said Riley Biggadike was still holding his post on the 8th this would suggest that this grave could be that of A Martin, but the Commonwealth War Graves list them both as being killed on the 7th, so it's still a 50% option not conclusive yet.  

Ahh. all is now explained

I wondered how a unmarried soldier with no children managed to to have a grandchild :rolleyes:

Aill is now understood

regards Ray

• 1 year later...

Hi. Riley was my Great-Great Uncle.

My grandad, Ted, was Riley's nephew. I have been researching him recently and found this discussion. I have been to the Menin Gate twice in the past and when my Dad was in the early stages of Parkinsons, I managed to take him to Ypres and see the panel of the Lincolnshire Regiment (half way up the steps on the left hand side).

My Dad died this year and I am so pleased that he got to see it for the first time.

Riley was apparently wounded 5 times in total and had only returned from home leave to the front a fortnight before he died. 

Reports say that 12 Germans were found dead in the close vicinity of his post. As you say above, Riley held his post bravely and to the very end.

Thankyou all for the other info