The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French grenade launcher or heatsink? Or other?

Sturmmann1918

Hello all. I'm a huge WW1 photo/postcard collector and just purchased this. I'm not sure what is on the barrel of this soldiers rifle. The seller described it as a heatsink, but I'm confused to why a bolt action rifle would need a heatsink. Could it be a grenade launcher? I've added the photo below, as well as the reverse. Perhaps someone can read french and there is mention as to what is on the rifle. I appreciate everyone's help!

Screenshot_20170715-152154_1.jpg

Screenshot_20170715-153152_1.jpg

Text appears to be general family/personal chit chat. I can make out no reference to any weapon.

My guess would be a grenade launcher but that's only a guess.

Nigel

Hi,

Effectually, this strange weapon is a french 84 mm grenade launcher, especially for ball grenade type 1847 with a time fuze , about 5 s.delay.

It was appeared in 1915, for a short time!

Hope that will help you

JM

.54ritessaidegraslancegrN.jpg.b1bc233b96db05c836040908a11b871e.jpg

On 7/15/2017 at 16:48, Bombadier said:

Text appears to be general family/personal chit chat. I can make out no reference to any weapon.

My guess would be a grenade launcher but that's only a guess.

Nigel

I thought so, was worth a shot! Thanks!

8 hours ago, WK 361 LP said:

Hi,

Effectually, this strange weapon is a french 84 mm grenade launcher, especially for ball grenade type 1847 with a time fuze , about 5 s.delay.

Hope that will help you

JM

Wow, awesome! Thanks so much. Very interesting. 

On 7/16/2017 at 16:33, WK 361 LP said:

Hi,

Hope that will help you

JM

Hi JM, I tried to research this grenade launcher and can't find any info on it. Perhaps you can share some more information about it?

Hi all,

Sorry for this delay ... After searching in my archives, I found a temporary record, a rare document on the subject, dated January 1916, published just before the disappearance of the weapon.There are some data Which are a bit different than the ones I wrote a little quick, sorry for that. The 1914 grenade has the same body as the 1847 model, the fuze is a little different but remains a time fuze triggered by burning gases at Time of shooting. This leaflet is unfortunately in french! 

Best regards

JM

2lvl0kl.jpg

986fkh.jpg

2jagi8y.jpg

24z9feq.jpg

24n41a8.jpg

Thank you so much WK 361 LP! These things are not my area of interest but I appreciate the effort involved in posting this information, and I am sure others on GWF will find it of great use in future times - - well, at least the nonGB-centric ones! !

Julian