Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Sword of the North"

Steven Broomfield

Although Sword of the North is a wonderful book, I have been told by people who knew the folks involved that it is not entirely accurate.  In particular, the bits about the Ross & Cromarty Mountain Battery, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade were the subjects of these comments.  The book, "Last Warrior Band" if you can find it and "Gael Force on Gallipoli" are impeccably researched (both by Colin Scott Mackenzie, whose father fought with the Ross Battery and later commanded it). The inaccuracies aren't enough to shelve SOTN and the photos are priceless, but caution should be used. As a book written shortly after the war it was a labor of love and a tribute to the Scottish soldiers that still has a great deal of value.

Mike Morrison

Mike - I don't doubt all you say. Indeed, many years of reading hagiographic 'histories' written soon after the events have led me to believe nothing. But I can still enjoy the 'Ripping Yarns'-style writing. ;)

Steven,   Have you tried getting your public library to do a search to see if they can borrow one for you from one of the  libraries they have arrangements with ?   Have mine doing this now and should have an answer by mid-week next. 

Well that was quick and deadly.  Answer is no loaners available.  Closest one is in Chicago (!!!) and available only on site, by appointment only, on select days.  Maybe we can all chip in and buy a copy to pass around, sort of a usage lottery ?  It'd be great to see those photos.

On 7/16/2017 at 00:22, seaJane said:

It doesn't appear to have been deposited on copyright (unless all six of the copyright libraries have failed to catalogue it) and indeed none of the other 90 or so academic & special libraries covered by COPAC lists a copy either...

Not quite.  COPAC lists copies at IWM, NLS, BL, Oxford(=Bodley), plus Aberdeen U., Edinburgh U, Leeds U and St Andrews U. There is a copy in the Mitchell Library, Glasgow also,not on COPAC.

BL has more than one copy listed which suggests it is available via DSC for inter-library loan. Some of the surviving regional collecting schemes may have one available as well

Edited by Guest

On 7/16/2017 at 06:31, Steven Broomfield said:

Think I might need to start saving. It will be an heirloom for the girls.

Cheapest copy on Tinternet appears to be c.£164-ish, including postage. See another recent thread about how much GWF members are prepared to pay-this is modest.

SB- The daughters could forgo their heirloom and just work as Uber drivers for a week or so to please their dear old dad with a surprise present in his dotage

But there again- Where are Naval and Military when you want them?

Not quite.  COPAC lists copies at IWM, NLS, BL, Oxford(=Bodley), plus Aberdeen U., Edinburgh U, Leeds U and St Andrews U. There is a copy in the Mitchell Library, Glasgow also,not on COPAC.

BL has more than one copy listed which suggests it is available via DSC for inter-library loan. Some of the surviving regional collecting schemes may have one available as well

That truly baffles me! I don't usually miss COPAC material.  It's very unforgiving of typos, though, so maybe I perpetrated one. Apologies for the misdirection, and thanks to GUEST for putting me right :)

5 hours ago, bif said:

Well that was quick and deadly.  Answer is no loaners available.  Closest one is in Chicago (!!!) and available only on site, by appointment only, on select days.  Maybe we can all chip in and buy a copy to pass around, sort of a usage lottery ?  It'd be great to see those photos.

Which photos in particular Bif... I may be able to arrange it.

Chris

There's a rather tatty and overpriced copy on eBay but they do show several pages from the book.

On 15/09/2017 at 03:36, seaJane said:

That truly baffles me! I don't usually miss COPAC material.  It's very unforgiving of typos, though, so maybe I perpetrated one. Apologies for the misdirection, and thanks to GUEST for putting me right :)

Don't worry Jane-  I have simian fingers and do it all the time- that selfie of the happy monkey on Tinternet is because he knows he is better at typing than I am!

Bif-there is a copy of the book in Toronto public libraries  as well- Time to plan your holidays. Do you speak Canadian?

Thanks everyone. I am prepared to wait for the right moment and the right copy.

A rare book. I was speaking with someone the other day who is related to MacEchern. I will see if he can use his influence to get me a copy B)

I will have to quiz him again, I'm sure he said he remembers Dugald (who died 31/10/1946).  Just out of interest, MacEchern's brother Sergeant 139637 Hector MacEchern was reported missing on 18/11/1916 when serving with the 75th Battalion, CEF, though newspapers have him with Lovat's Scouts. He is commemorated on the Vimy Memorial.

Mike

9 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Which photos in particular Bif

Anything in there re the Seaforth, please ?  PM if you need.

Do you speak Canadian?

Ya, heah der ?

On 9/13/2017 at 13:12, Steven Broomfield said:

Mike - I don't doubt all you say. Indeed, many years of reading hagiographic 'histories' written soon after the events have led me to believe nothing. But I can still enjoy the 'Ripping Yarns'-style writing. ;)

By all means, Steven.  Enjoy it. As I recall, however, it was almost encyclopedic in it's focus on units and who was in them. Lots of photos I haven't seen anywhere else and a couple of names I can't quite reconcile. But that didn't take away from the enjoyment.  Several years ago, there was a copy on the Internet on one of those sites that presented books that were out of copyright.  It had been scanned.  I can't find it today either.

Best of luck!

Mike Morrison 

Aha! Found a copy on the www at a price I am happy to pay.

Mrs Broomfield is giving it to me for my Seasonal gift in three months' time. All I have to do is let her know this.

5 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Aha! Found a copy on the www at a price I am happy to pay.

Mrs Broomfield is giving it to me for my Seasonal gift in three months' time. All I have to do is let her know this.

Yes I noticed the number available on ABE had dropped by 1. I'm tempted by the copy in South Africa but it says there's a 'bite sized chunk ' missing from the front edge of the cloth which sounds like some rather serious damage to me.

This one was/is in the UK, in the Highlands, would you believe. I don't actually have it yet, as the vendor is away fishing, but I hope the deal is done.

• 2 months later...

I noticed a copy appeared on today's episode of 'Dickinson's real deal ' . It was purchased by a Scottish dealer for £285 , which was the same price as the sellers

had paid for it ( the independent valuers had valued it at £100- £150 ). Books don't normally sell for much on the programme , but the dealer really wanted it

because of the Scottish connection .

It is, I can confirm, a joy to own (even if it is still in hiding).

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Dave Sid said:

Hey Steven. Just wondering if you ever found a copy of The Sword of the North? My mother-in-law is looking to sell a 1923 copy of the book. 

I did, thanks. Found it via a dealer in Fort William. Can't think she'll have too much trouble shifting it!

I noticed a copy has appeared on e-bay recently , £400 starting price or best offer ( copy on ABE for just under £600 with postage from U.S )

Mrs Broomfield doesn't know what I paid. At least, I think she doesn't ...

33 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Mrs Broomfield doesn't know what I paid. At least, I think she doesn't ...

The fact that you still have fingers to type with would strongly suggest that she doesn’t...

34 minutes ago, jay dubaya said:

The fact that you still have fingers to type with would strongly suggest that she doesn’t...

Ask him if he can still walk :wub: