Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry or Henry E. Longhorn. - R.A.S.C.

phil1963

Can anybody assist with any information about the above? He was born circa 1880, but not sure where, although he did reside in Paddington, London. Prior to call up he was a chauffeur and it believed that he drove as a staff driver during the war. He has so far not been found on the 1911 census.......perhaps abroad?

A Harry Longhorn, born 1879, was living in Leeds in 1911 - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbc%2f1911%2frg14%2f27054%2f0049%2f1

Between 1879 and 1881 there was only one Harry/Henry Longhorn registered - that was the Leeds man (although birth was registered in 1881).

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Wot Craig wrote.

Just to add that in 1901 he was still in Leeds, a farm labourer aet 19 yrs.

Except he's indexed on Ancestry as 'Longborn'.

Phil,

Where does the middle initial 'E' come from?

And the date of birth?

34 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

There's a medal index card for a Pte Harry Longhorn S/4 091051 Entered theatre France 18/9/1915

There were 3 Harrys and 4 Henrys (plus a Henry J.) born between 1874 and 1900, so trying to pin one man to one card could be inconclusive, especially if he served at home and had no medal entitlement and no MIC.

OK........it appears from birth entries that the family have the middle initial wrong and that he is actually Henry J. Longhorn. Records show that he married a Miss Smith many miles south in Lewisham, London in 1913. My pal, a relative thinks that the family are perhaps holding stuff back. Ancestry shows his service number is R.A.S.C....M 402208. What does the M. stand for?

M was a driver prefix.

Well, Henry J did marry Ethel M Smith as you say.

What information are the family after?

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Henry James Longhorn was born 1884 in Carbrook, Sheffield

In 1911 Henry James, a motor van driver, was living in Lewisham with his parents, James Henry and Emma.

Craig

Seem to have a mix up here as Henry J. whose parents were Henry and Elizabeth lived in Leeds. My pal believes that the story of his family tree is wrong and has been muddles up down the passing years, so we are starting again with a blank sheet.

My advice in general is to get the family tree sorted first, then try and add the military details where possible.

Yes, its most confusing! Electoral rolls for this rare name show a father and son both called Henry, living in Leeds and another father and son both called Henry living in London. The younger Henry of the London pair was indeed born in Sheffield in 1884. He later married in 1913 and died in 1954 aged 70. No wonder my erudite pal is confused!

Edited by phil1963

19 minutes ago, phil1963 said:

Yes, its most confusing! Electoral rolls for this rare name show a father and son both called Henry, living in Leeds and another father and son both called Henry living in London. The younger Henry of the London pair was indeed born in Sheffield in 1884. He later married in 1913 and died in 1954 aged 70. No wonder my erudite pal is confused!

It certainly needs to go back to the bare basics - are the children of Henry known ? - if so try working back with the mothers maiden name etc

Craig

15 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

M was a driver prefix.

M is for Mechanical Transport and although he was most likely a driver there were other roles in Mechanical Transport Companies.

4 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

M is for Mechanical Transport and although he was most likely a driver there were other roles in Mechanical Transport Companies.

That is of course correct.

Thanks for pointing out my very basic error.:thumbsup: