Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help valuing First War medals

mapletree

I have inherited a medal group from a distant relative. I have nobody to leave these medals to and no particular emotional attachment (unlike my grandfathers Military Cross which of course I treasure) so I will be selling these somehow, somewhere.

They are actually common I believe but I wonder whether the MSM and the fact that the group includes a husband and wife (Great War medal for the VAD) makes much of a difference ?

I just don't know.

Also I have a pair that is of course very common but the recipient was a distant relative and somewhat well known architect, Alfred Mignon Calderon and son of a well known british painter Philip Calderon. Is there a premium for medals awarded to such individuals ?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Sergeant Blakey's medals are in excellent condition. Captain Calderon's are a little time worn but generally very good.

calderon.jpg.28559e14573cae457b5b505ff97acf04.jpg

blakey-1.jpeg.f4819fc95d08678eb913e03504d0e47a.jpeg

3 hours ago, mapletree said:

I have inherited a medal group from a distant relative. I have nobody to leave these medals to and no particular emotional attachment (unlike my grandfathers Military Cross which of course I treasure) so I will be selling these somehow, somewhere.

They are actually common I believe but I wonder whether the MSM and the fact that the group includes a husband and wife (Great War medal for the VAD) makes much of a difference ?

I just don't know.

Also I have a pair that is of course very common but the recipient was a distant relative and somewhat well known architect, Alfred Mignon Calderon and son of a well known british painter Philip Calderon. Is there a premium for medals awarded to such individuals ?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks all.

Sergeant Blakey's medals are in excellent condition. Captain Calderon's are a little time worn but generally very good.

calderon.jpg

blakey-1.jpeg

Very nice group.  A browse on ebay should give you a rough idea of value, it's an elastic figure depending on story, regiment etc and  how many people are interested. 

Please don't split the two groups.

Edited by GWF1967

Dear mapletree,

Yes, I quite agree with GWF1967: all are very desirable groups and the MSM was a hard-to-get Decoration...!

All the boxes and groups should be kept together - and photos of the recipients added, if possible.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Dear mapletree,

Where are you located? If in Canada, I can suggest some dealers who would give you a fair evaluation. 

All the best,

Gary

Hi,

If I was you I would post on Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group - CEFSG - similar to GWF but Canada based. Members there will be pleased to have sight of the medals and may give you detailed information on the individuals concerned. Some members there collect medals to specific regiments.

http://www.cefresearch.ca/phpBB3/index.php

I would also look on Library Archives Canada (LAC) website as Canadian WW1 service files are available to download for free.

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx

If you do a little research and find out more about what they did to earn their medals you may feel more of an attachment to them.

Good Luck.

Steve Y

Steve Y makes an excellent point! Ideally, medals should be retained in the family. However,mthis is not always possible. 

Here is the link to Blakely's service record - http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=48078

And Calderon - http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=81803

All the best,

Gary

Edited by Waggoner

Message sent regarding Canadian MSM groups I have purchased in recent years.

Cheers,

Terry

mapletree wrote:  "They are actually common I believe but I wonder whether the MSM and the fact that the group includes a husband and wife (Great War medal for the VAD) makes much of a difference ?

Also I have a pair that is of course very common but the recipient was a distant relative and somewhat well known architect, Alfred Mignon Calderon and son of a well known british painter Philip Calderon. Is there a premium for medals awarded to such individuals?"

mapletree:  To answer your two questions above:

1. The MSM will add value to the group to the extent of the value of the MSM itself plus probably a small additional value that it is a complete group.  The fact that the group contains medals to both the husband and a wife does not usually add to the value of the group beyond the value of the medals themselves.

2. The fact that a distant relative was a well known architect and the son of a well known painter, to my experience, will add nothing to the group beyond the value of the medals.  If the distant relative was a Victoria Cross recipient then it might add some value. 

• 3 months later...

thanks to all who helpfully replied to my query

to those who suggested keeping the medals, i already have my grandad's military cross beautifully framed with his photo, collar badges and so on as well as his brothers medals who was killed in action, i have no one to leave these medals and so the calderon medals feel like yet another burden as i very much want to see all these medals find proper and good homes

the calderon auction is: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Canadian-WW1-Pair-War-Victory-Medal-Captain-Alfred-M-Calderon-Noted-Architect/202086127075

still working on the blakely group 

• 4 weeks later...