Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morane-Saulnier TRK.

pete-c

I have been able to locate just one photograph of this particular aircraft - presumably the only example made in 1915.  I believe there may be other illustrations in the publication French Aircraft of the First World War by Davilla and Soltan.   Would anyone have a copy of this book and be willing to photo-copy these illustrations?

Edited by pete-c

On 14/07/2017 at 01:02, pete-c said:

I have been able to locate just one photograph of this particular aircraft - presumably the only example made in 1915.  I believe there may be other illustrations in the publication French Aircraft of the First World War by Davilla and Soltan.   Would anyone have a copy of this book and be willing to photo-copy these illustrations?

Hi

Davilla & Soltan have two images of the TRK on pages 329 and 330, presumably from a French official source (MA32 and MA33).  The images are below for information only. Am I to presume the image you have is one of these?

Mike

WW1bib002.jpg.2a0e49c54b10e3583634435c27cc8c30.jpg

WW1bib003.jpg.590e466c6b3c31f84abf86e9054103f7.jpg

13 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

Davilla & Soltan have two images of the TRK on pages 329 and 330, presumably from a French official source (MA32 and MA33).  The images are below for information only. Am I to presume the image you have is one of these?

Mike

WW1bib002.jpg.2a0e49c54b10e3583634435c27cc8c30.jpgWW1bib003.jpg.590e466c6b3c31f84abf86e9054103f7.jpg

Mike, this is fantastic.  The frontal image is the one I have - from the Harleyford book Reconnaissance and Bomber Aircraft, so I was hoping there might be an illustration of the engine installation somewhere.   Would you know if the TRK was built contemporaneously with the Salmson-Moineau SM1, and if it ever flew?   Salmson, being the engine supplier, would presumably have been aware of the intention to use two engines in this machine, so perhaps Moineau decided to keep things simpler [!] and just use one.   That didn't really work out, did it.

The French aviation industry has certainly never been afraid of innovation.

Cheers, Peter.

7 hours ago, pete-c said:

Mike, this is fantastic.  The frontal image is the one I have - from the Harleyford book Reconnaissance and Bomber Aircraft, so I was hoping there might be an illustration of the engine installation somewhere.   Would you know if the TRK was built contemporaneously with the Salmson-Moineau SM1, and if it ever flew?   Salmson, being the engine supplier, would presumably have been aware of the intention to use two engines in this machine, so perhaps Moineau decided to keep things simpler [!] and just use one.   That didn't really work out, did it.

The French aviation industry has certainly never been afraid of innovation.

Cheers, Peter.

Hi

D & S appear not to be able to confirm if the TRK flew or not.  It was built in 1915 probably for the 1915 or 1916 'concours' for a heavy bomber according to D & S.  The TRK was larger than the SM 1, which D & S (page 435) state was produced in 1916 and tested at Villacoublay that year.  Up to 155 may have been built but it had an inferior performance than the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (French built), although at least one still appears to be in use with AR 289 in 1918.  Two SM.1s went to the Russians who found them of little use (page 437).

Mike

3 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

D & S appear not to be able to confirm if the TRK flew or not.  It was built in 1915 probably for the 1915 or 1916 'concours' for a heavy bomber according to D & S.  The TRK was larger than the SM 1, which D & S (page 435) state was produced in 1916 and tested at Villacoublay that year.  Up to 155 may have been built but it had an inferior performance than the Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (French built), although at least one still appears to be in use with AR 289 in 1918.  Two SM.1s went to the Russians who found them of little use (page 437).

Mike

Many thanks for the extra info Mike - much appreciated.