Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM Lives of the First World War

ForeignGong

19 hours ago, ForeignGong said:

Hello Charlotte

So far I have added LG entries for foreign awards, MID's and MSM's for some men on "Lives of the First World War" and after a week when I go back to those men there is nothing added to their pages. How long after adding info, is it then able to be seen on their pages???

This is a wonderful project as most families know very little of their relatives war service, as you know, due to service papers not surviving and I feel that every little bit helps.

We, here in Australia, are very lucky in that our records have survived.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your positive feedback, really good to hear that you're finding Lives useful. Your entries to the site should be visible straight away - if this isn't the case, you can get in touch with the Support Team to investigate if there is a problem - their email address is support@livesofthefirstworldwar.org

Best Wishes,

Charlotte

Hello,

Please see my additional comments below in Bold.

With many thanks and Best Wishes,

Charlotte

Hello,Charlotte-Perhaps a little more "clarification" -Regret I don't translate from Weasel that easily and Weasel-English is not an option on Google Translate:

On 17/07/2017 at 12:28, CCzyzyk said:

During the centenary period, Lives of the First World War will be free to contribute to and browse

During the centenary period, Lives of the First World War will be free to contribute to and browse

Q: And after the centenary period? The data gathered will be transferred to IWM online archives, where you can continue to browse it for free - as you can with other Collections Online.

Terms and Conditions.This ensures that content you create remains your property, but IWM acquires the right to reuse this material.

Terms and Conditions.This ensures that content you create remains your property, but IWM acquires the right to reuse this material.

Forever and in any way you see fit-including charging? Even the original contributor?    Please clarify whether IWM will charge for copies of images on LFWW on it's normal tariff (You know-where you charge a copyright fee-even when you don't own the copyright) The content created by members of the site will always be free to access. The

content is covered by the IWM non-commercial license, which allows members of the public to download copies for their personal use.

ii) How can it be the contributor's property when they cannot recover it or stop any use of it in any way by IWM? Please read the Terms and Conditions, which state 'How we use content created by users'

Any records we add to the site which are currently free online elsewhere, such as Commonwealth War Graves Commission records, are also free to view on Lives of the First World War

Any records we add to the site which are currently free online elsewhere, such as Commonwealth War Graves Commission records, are also free to view on Lives of the First World War

Which translates as-any records from proprietary sources added to an entry will not be free after the centennial years but will be charged for?  Is that not so? We will not charge to view any such records, now or in the future.

We are currently in partnership with Findmypast, who provide access to many of the records that we feature

We are currently in partnership with Findmypast, who provide access to many of the records that we feature

You appear to have left out the words "paid subscription" before the word "access"-Would you kindly amend your post so that it is truthful and accurate? There are different levels of access on the site - you can search the records free of charge and if you wish to view premium records you can pay a subscription. As mentioned, there are some records which are free to view for everyone.

and will always be free to access as a permanent digital memorial to the First World War.

and will always be free to access as a permanent digital memorial to the First World War.

Free to access but not free to copy or use,say,in a publication elsewhere? What charges do you propose and when will they be introduced? Again, please read the terms under 'Intellectual Property Rights'. Any requests for using the content for publication will be considered on a case by case basis.

1 hour ago, CCzyzyk said:

Thank you for your reponse. For myself, I consider your terms too onerous and will not be placing my 366 local biographies with you at any time.