Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Volunteer R. Roberts Nyasaland Field Force

claymore123

Hello I am trying to find some additional information on the above man especially his Christian name. He initially served a volunteer in the above unit before securing a commission I believe on 21 Aug 1915 as a temp Lt in the Kings African Rifles and this is confirmed on his MIC along with his date of entry into theatre as (4a) on 23.9.1914.. The medal rolls for his 1914-15 star and BWM & Victory medals show him as Volunteer and Lt in the NFF so I am pretty sure it is him. He then relinquishes his commission on 14th March 1917.

I have tried to secure a copy of "Cinderella's soldiers : a history of the Nyasaland Volunteer Reserve" to no avail so I wonder if any forum member may have a copy and if so I would be grateful if he is listed and what details there are on him.

Many thanks.

Iain

I was hoping to see his entry in the Officer Files WO339 or WO374 at Kew. There are other Officers listed with African Rifles etc but none for R Roberts. If he joined and left within the war years there would normally be a file in one or other of the series I mention. There is a W W Roberts of King's African Rifles in WO339/42689.

Sotonmate thanks for the reply. I will keep looking and will hopefully secure a copy of the book. I believe it is a much overlooked part of the war and one I am keen to understand better.

• 5 years later...

Iain, I'm looking for more info on R. Roberts as well!  I believe we're looking for the same guy.  A document with his name popped up in Canada from 1924 regarding his pension from Nyasaland and Zanzibar.  Hoping you can share anything you learnt about him.  Feel free to email me at (email address removed by moderator)

• Admin

Welcome to the forum Paull. @claymore123 is still visiting the forum so hopefully my tag will alert him to your post. I’ve removed your email address from your post. It’s never a good idea to post personal information on a public forum. Members can contact each other using personal messages.