Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A book on enlistment & basic training needed.

SgtPrice

Dear Pals,

I am interested to know if there are any detailed books on the enlistment and basic training process that soldiers went through before heading off to the front. I have read a few articles on the net about it but they are not always that detailed. So if any pals have any suggestions please can they let me know. 

regards,

PrivatePrice

Try 'Kitchener's Army: The Raising of the New Armies 1914 - 1916' by Peter Simkins. Very detailed with plenty of anecdotal accounts from individuals relating to both topics you are looking for.

Nick

Denis Winter "Death's Men"  is an older but good piece of work on a lot of things-based in part on the quizzing of his father, a Great War veteran- Full of the odd things of everyday army life that get overlooked- how much the soldier's kit weighed, etc.

Ian Hay's 'The First Hundred Thousand' is worth a read.

• Admin

As is, ' A Nation in Arms' Becket and Simpson

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nation-Arms-British-First-World/dp/1783461837

frequently bought together with Simkins, apparently. 

Both these are reprints and have stood the test of time and scholarship, not sure if the most recent editions have been revised.  

Mitchison is the classic source on the TF and the relationship of the TF Associations to the raising of the new Armies, though his trilogy is very expensive e.g. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Englands-Last-Hope-Territorial-Force-1908-14/0230574548/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499726008&sr=1-3

It's difficult to recommend just one book as there were four armies in the field, the regulars, the Territorials, Kitchener's men and finally the conscripts who claimed the final victory.  Each had their own pattern of initial enlistment/recruitment and training for other ranks which evolved throughout the conflict and each developed a system of officer training.

Becket and Simpson discuss all these aspects in one volume, I find it an indispensable reference though it is light on anecdotal experience.  

Ken

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for all of the suggestions which are very helpful. I will see which ones I can get hold of to read. Your help is much appreciated.

regards,

Private Price.