Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

deutscherinfanteriest

Hi all, I'm researching British and German units in the battle for Montauban (Bernafay Wood); how many killed, captured, wounded and missing had BRIR 6 and IR 62; there are some informations for example how many Germans were killed in the battle for "La Briqueterie" or "Brickworks" on 1st july, during the bloodiest day in British Army history.

Deutscherinfanteriest

I've no overall figures but did include some extracts from the account of Leutnant Busl, of 6 BRIR, in my history of 17th Manchesters. He notes that, before the British entered Montauban "about two thirds of the platoon of 6 NCOs and 56 men were dead".

There are printed histories for both Regiments, you should be able to obtain them through your local library.

Charlie

So John were killed about 40 soldiers... I read that British captured many Germans of IR62 and there were also the colonel regiment's commander and staff officers. So killed were about 50

• 4 months later...

There were significant counter-attacks @9pm on 1st July and early moring of 2nd July.  There will have been significant German losses as they were repelled from the north side of the village.  I guess at 100s.