Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

gus logan

angus.logan

BRANDHOEK        - Third Battle of Ypres   July / Aug 1917    ....I have  a great uncle  who died of wounds in a field ambulance  on 22 July 1917  and was buried in Brandhoek cemetery  which , I am guessing , was   convenient    for 44 casualty clearing station  that month .    He was a private in  7th Battln ,   Queens Own Cameron Highlanders  .    I am wondering why or how he would be killed   nine days before the  3rd battle of Ypres actually  began ?   What were the  most common causes of death in that period -eg sniper fire , shell bombardments ,  mines  etc.   I wonder ?       

14 minutes ago, GUS LOGAN said:

BRANDHOEK        - Third Battle of Ypres   July / Aug 1917    ....I have  a great uncle  who died of wounds in a field ambulance  on 22 July 1917  and was buried in Brandhoek cemetery  which , I am guessing , was   convenient    for 44 casualty clearing station  that month .    He was a private in  7th Battln ,   Queens Own Cameron Highlanders  .    I am wondering why or how he would be killed   nine days before the  3rd battle of Ypres actually  began ?   What were the  most common causes of death in that period -eg sniper fire , shell bombardments ,  mines  etc.   I wonder ?       

Who was he ?

Craig

The War Diary for that day says they were in Support having relieved the Seaforths the day before, and providing working parties. So most likely a victim of shellfire although possibly sniper if working party went forward?

59623a506ed98_CameronHighladersWD22Jul1917.JPG.93bdf6f5582478a0d40dd73e2529aa24.JPG

The link is to the WarDiary page on Ancestry, if you have a sub or can get to your local library.

Charlie

SDGW = Died of wounds with 7th Bn Camerons [as shown above]

EDIT: I suggest you change your post header to include his name, service number and regiment

Edited by Bardess

GUS

Artillery from both sides had been firing with density from up to a week before the start of 3rd Ypres. I have read where any sign of troop density, such as trench movement/ changeovers etc brought down a hail of shells.

PTE RODERICK SMITH , 1893-1917  QO Cameron Highlanders

Thank you so much for your help and  suggestions  all - esp Craig ,  ss002d6252 , charlie.962 , barless  and sotonmate ...your   generous efforts are so much appreciated . I will take a look at  Roddy's grave this month  - he will not have had  many visitors  these last 100 years ! Thanks again all of you .