Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

other ranker

I have been collecting some of the 'boys own' type books recently and the more conventional Great War aviation books. Many of them are illustrated magnificently by Stanley Orton Bradshaw. Why can't I find out anything about this wonderful artist? Google him and only his works appear. Can someone tell me his story? See below for images.

596143832e592_coverart_StanleyortonBradshaw_fromthecockpit2_zps26j738p2.jpg.d36b01e78d3a5a560d34e8815a1f9fbb.jpg

5961438cd52c6_coverart_StanleyOrtonBradshaw_Thecockpit_zpsxzlcqtri.jpg.367a68665df0acdbcd9fef9fcfa5cf81.jpg

Hi

found this reference

Another display was held at Eaton Bray on Sunday 21st August 1949. I was there and had a 10min trip in an Auster Autocrat flown by aviation artist and former ATA pilot Stanley Orton Bradshaw whilst dad took photographs of the ‘crowds’. For some reason the word ‘crowds’ is in inverted commas in dad’s logbook – perhaps attendance was lower than expected.

on http://www.onthewire.co.uk/bray4.htm

Maybe look up via ATA?

regards

Jon

Here ypu go - try this one

http://afleetingpeace.org/the-ata/index.php/9-lists/3-ata-men-1941 and scroll down/ or control "F" and search /find on page Stanley Orton Bradshaw

M.404

29 Apr 1941 to 31 Oct 45

2nd Officer

Stanley Orton Bradshaw

ata stanley bradshaw 19271927

ata stanley bradshaw ICCL

flag england b. 2 Feb 1903, London

An aviation journalist (e.g. 'Flying Memories,' 1936) and a prolific and well-known artist, e.g. this from 1931:

and this, from 1936:

coverart 1936 Bradshaw zpsb4aeb757

Address in 1941: Fivetrees, Wood Lane, Stanmore Middx

Ferry Pools; 1FPP, 6FPP

[Promoted to First Officer 29 Dec 1941, but demoted to 3rd Officer 21 June 1943 after being absent through injury following a forced landing in a Hurricane, from 27 Mar 1942 to 15 Nov 1942]

Jan-43: "After a long rest from flying owing to his accident this pilot failed to reach the necessary standard on his Class 2 refresher. He has bnow been checked out on Class 1 and after 3 months experience in this class should be given another trial."

By Dec-44 he had qualified for Class 2 and 3, and became "a good reliable and well behaved officer. His knowledge of the country and steady flying make him an excellent pilot."

d. 1950. Flight, 13 Apr: "It is with deep regret that Flight records the deaths, in an air accident at Boston last Friday, of Stanley Orton Bradshaw, pilot, and editorial contributor to The Aeroplane, and of his two passengers, E. J. Riding and N. C. Stoneham. Aged 47, Mr. Bradshaw had been a pilot since 1926 and, following wartime A.T.A. experience, had over 70 types of aircraft in his logbook. In addition, he was a noted aviation writer and painter of flying scenes. He had a happy way of transmitting his intense enthusiasm for aviation, particularly private flying, to all he met. Mr. Riding, also a writer, was an authority on aero-modelling and light aircraft. The third victim, Mr. Stoneham, was a member of the Redhill Flying Club."

Dear jonbem,

What a poignant list.

So many (especially Americans) were lost - and the discipline was rigorous.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Thanks for your help. How sad that he died so young, but maybe doing what he loved to do best.

• 2 years later...

Hi - I have a copy of THE COCKPIT which I am converting into an ebook. It is a first edition in poor condition, and was a Christmas present to my uncle in 1935. He was later killed at Arnhem. Unfortunately it's missing the first picture you show above - The Dogfight, inserted in the story 'Frightfully Bright' by Kenneth Quintrel. I fear I am responsible - I have vague memories of cutting it out and putting it on my bedroom wall some 60+ years ago. May I take a copy of this picture to replace the missing picture? I can see it's been cropped at the top - do you have the full version, even if it is damaged?  Hope you can help.

Monifieth,

Here is your scan. This is as good as I can get it. All the best.scan0001.jpg.4747745df0f625b1cb597f6454e4b8be.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot - exactly what I needed.  The ebook is now available on https://openlibrary.org/books/OL27933951M/The_Cockpit, if anyone is interested. The downloadable epub version (automatically generated) is not useful, but the book is perfectly readable with the Internet Archive's own reader. If you do want to download, then the WORD file is best; it is as it was created, and includes good scans of all the illustrations (including the line drawings). The PDF version (uploaded here) is also OK. I'm sure there are still some mistakes, so if you spot any of them, please let me know. I've included a short note on the last two pages on my uncle, killed at Arnhem. It was his book.

The Cockpit.pdf