Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers Exams

Pope1777

Hello,

Firstly, I hope this is the correct section to post this topic in.

I have been searching around the Internet for any information on the details of exams Officers were required to take.

My Great-Grandfather  John S Connole entered the British Territorial Forces in around 1910 after having previously served with the Western Australian Mounted Infantry (Sergeant) and with the South African Constabulary (Sergeant Major) during the 2nd Boer War. He gained a commission initially as a 2nd Lieutenant with the 6th Devonshire Regiment, before transferring to the 5th Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He became a Captain in the spring of 1914. Presumably he would have had to have taken an exam for this? I would very much like to see the kinds of things he would have had to have studied for.

He later became Adjutant, and then (Temporary) Major for the 2/4th DCLI. 

Thank you for any help, in the mean time I will continue the search.

Hello Pope1777

King's Regulations 1912 (reprinted 1914) contains an appendix (XI) giving the syllabus for many of the promotion examinations, although I am sure that after August 1914 officers would often be commissioned and promoted without going through the whole course.

It runs to about twenty pages although the first ten are the most relevant. Here is a link to an online version:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044048604474;view=1up;seq=21. It starts on page 431.

Ron

Thank you very much, I shall enjoy reading this.