Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Brockbank Johnston

Phil Wood

Edward Brockbank Johnston died on 11 Sept 1919 in Colchester Military Hospital. He was a serving soldier (A/Sgt Essex Regt 18770). 

Soldiers' Effects entry.

I can't find him on the CWGC site.

Terry: Has he been flagged up by your work on Soldiers' Effects?

I should, perhaps, also note that he may well be Newbury's oldest casualty - 62.  Though the Newbury connection is not very strong (he left before 1881). Nevertheless, his death was announced in the Newbury paper.

The war gratuity entry is odd - The reason seems to be that he was paid the WG whilst still serving and he died afterwards, still in service.

Capture.PNG.3c14269c39cb4034f5975f5f7fc89a14.PNG

Craig

#18770 dates from earlly April 1915 - it seems there are quite a few older men around the service number which is unusual.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

30 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

The war gratuity entry is odd - The reason seems to be that he was paid the WG whilst still serving and he died afterwards, still in service.

Craig

Presumambly it was paid to all qualifying serving soldiers at some point?  Evidently in this chap's case that was before he died (11/9/19).

His Newbury connection is really tenuous - he was born here in 1857 while his father was landlord of the Wellington Arms. They moved on to the Sun Hotel in 1862 and left there and Newbury in 1875. I guess he may have siblings who stayed in the town and were behind the announcement of his death in the local paper.

Presumambly it was paid to all qualifying serving soldiers at some point?  Evidently in this chap's case that was before he died (11/9/19).

That's the case - it's just unusual to see men in that particular circumstance.

His Newbury connection is really tenuous - he was born here in 1857 while his father was landlord of the Wellington Arms. They moved on to the Sun Hotel in 1862 and left there and Newbury in 1875. I guess he may have siblings who stayed in the town and were behind the announcement of his death in the local paper.

That's a possibility - someone thought enough to put it in the local paper.

Craig

• 5 years later...

Chelmsford Chronicle 19 September 1919:

1282656575_ChelmsfordChronicle19September1919.JPG.6fe65d58b3b5ed5901d2baec6a0868fe.JPG

FMP also record the following monumental inscription at Ingrave (St. Nicholas) Churchyard:

In loving memory / of / EDWARD BROCKBANK JOHNSTON / who died Sept. 11th 1919 / aged 62 / also of his wife / ROSINA / who died Feb. 22nd 1920 / aged 71 / To rest in the Lord

Is there sufficient evidence to show that he was in service? I can only find the SER entry and a couple of pension cards.