Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

50th Northumberland Division wounded - did they generally go to Northumberland hospital?

PhysalisF

Apologies if I am writing on the wrong list.

Question: is it likely that the Northumbrian division soldiers were generally treated at the Northumberland hospital?

I don't think my ancestor (from Bacup, Lancashire) has a WW1 service record. BUT

I know he was in the 50th Northumbrian Division (I have a letter). ASC Despatch rider / stretcher bearer, and I think he was in the TF.

I have a cap badge, which says the "Border Regiment"

I know he was a POW (letter) captured Beaurieux 27/5/18 (IRC in Switzerland records).

I know he was demobbed November 1919 (photograph in a uniform, with date on the back).

Family story: "he was mustard gassed"

Family story: "he was in a hospital in Scotland for a year"....

Thank you,

PhysalisF

I've looked at a lot of records for 151st brigade of 50th Div - a lot of the wounded ended up in the north east or Scotland but many also ended up elsewhere.

It seems they did try to accommodate them near home if they could but it depended on hospital space.

5th border regiment were with the division until 1918.

Who is he and do you have a service number for him ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Thank you for replying.

Harry Hardman M2/048644

Despatch rider, but also stretcher bearer.

PhysalisF

A quick look at the medal roll shows he landed in France on 9 May 1915, so this was after 50th division landed by roughly 3 weeks.

The medal rolls show he saw out the war with the army service corps so, unless he served previously with 5th border regiment, he didn't serve with them in France - although he may well have worked alongside them.

I'll take a look through later and see if there are any casualty records unless someone else checks first.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252