Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

stapenhill war memorial, staffs

garfyboy

Morning all

Does anybody happen to have a image of the names on this memorial please, I am researching a Edwin Francis Cowley, rifle brigade, who was born here, I am hoping his name is recorded on this memorial

thanks

Andy

Thanks

I guess it must be but no mention of Cowley, although he was living in Loughborough at the time of his death, maybe he doesn't get a mention on this memorial

Andy

from CWGC web page.

Son of Alfred and Phoebe Cowley, of 296, Goodman St., Burton-on-Trent; husband of Mabel Dakin (formerly Cowley), of 23, Russell St., Loughborough, Leicestershire.

maybe wife had moved or remarried , didn't have anything to contribute also parents were not local .

presumably, as in other threads on the forum discussed, many moved on by the time memorials were constructed and had passed on to a new life.

the Lytch gate at a local church contains the names of 3 brothers, one is missing . that's 4 dead in the family, my grandfather came back. seems unfair that 3 are remembered and two are not.

Edited by chaz

I can look in Stapenhill cemetery where there are a lot of war graves and a bigger memorial.  There is one in the church further down in Stapenhill.  I will let you know if I find anything.

Chaz - thanks for that, yes it does seem unfair that one doesn't get a mention, after years of researching it becomes clear that having a name on a war memorial where you were born or where you were living at time of death is not very clear cut, ive come across men named on both and countless other memorials, others named on one or the other, and also some named on none.

Hi Alison

That's very kind of you , many thanks, I have found that he is named on the Loughborough memorial here in Leicestershire where he live at the time of his death, he may or may not get a mention Stapenhill, there maybe a chance that he gets a mention on his parents grave

Andy

I was there a couple of days ago didn't see anything but glad you located him 

Hi

I now live near Stapenhill and have started researching the local war memorials.

He is not mentioned on any of these.

Regards,

Graeme

Thank you both for letting me know

• 1 year later...

Hi, I'm also looking for images or details of Stapenhill war memorial. I'm not having much luck with Google and the above link no longer seems to work...

Am looking for the name Walter Witherow who I belive was a distant relative.

Hi

I dont have a picture of Stapenhill War Memorial, really must get out and get one !!

https://www.tracesofwar.com/sights/19397/War-Memorial-Stapenhill.htm

Walter is on the memorial, heres what I have on him

Walter WITHEROW
Private 8173

1st Battalion, North Staffordshire Regiment

Died in France on Saturday 17 June 1916

Walter was born in Winshill, the son of Joseph Henry and Martha Elizabeth (née Deakin) Witherow of 22, Newton Road, Winshill and later of 58, Holly Street, Stapenhill, his father being a railway locomotive engine driver and later a brewery engine driver.

He was baptised at the Holy Trinity Church, Burton-on-Trent on Sunday 27 June 1897.

Most probably mobilised at the outbreak of war, Walter was drafted to France on Thursday 12 November 1914.

Mortally wounded in action, Walter succumbed to his injuries in hospital at Bailleul.

On Wednesday 5 July 1916 his battalion moved into divisional reserve at Dranoutre providing daily working parties. On Thursday 15 June 1916 the battalion relieved the 9th Battalion, East Surrey Regiment in trenches and suffered a gas attack shortly afterwards.

The War Diary records,

“16 June 1916 - Fine day. Gas alert. Wind north north east but very variable owing to north by west.

17 June 1916 - Enemy gas attack at 12.20am. Two waves of gas at a short interval. Third wave probably carried by gas being blown down from north. No infantry followed.

Our casualties heavy amounting to 243 other ranks and 4 officers killed, wounded and gassed. Gas had deadly after effects and undue exertion undoubtedly affected this slightly and increased their distress. Men apparently ??? were affected after movement etc. Every possible precaution was taken and everyone was ready and alert.

18 June 1916 - Fine day. Battalion relieved by the 9th East Surrey Regiment. Move into brigade reserve.” 

Walter is buried in Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension, Nord in Grave II.E.254. He was 19 years of age.

Do you have a picture of him at all ??

Regards,

Graeme

pic from Google maps

Image2.jpg

Edited by GraemeClarke

Many thanks Graeme, a far more thorough reply than I was expecting!

Afraid I haven't come across a picture of him yet. Have you by any chance been though the newspapers at Burton Library? Might be able to save me a trip if you have.

Hi,

Ive got very lazy in my old age and the simple answer is no. There are papers at The Magic Attic in Swadlincote covering this area.

Graeme

Made an impromtu trip to Burton today but didn't learn a great deal, no photos in the local papers, only the following in the Burton Observer:

STAPENHILL SOLDIER KILLED.

PRIVATE W. WITHEROW

Official information has been received by Mr. and Mrs. Witherow, Holly Street, Stapenhill, that their son, Private Walter Witherow, 1st North Staffords, was killed in action on June 17th.

Will contact the Magic Attic to see if they have anything more.

Some further details about Walter and his family...

Walter was born on 25 May 1897 according to his school records. There is a pre-war servce record on FMP: he enlisted at Burton in 1912 and served as Private, 1739, 6th Bn. North Staffordshire Regiment, but was discharged after about six months under Para 156 (9) TF Regulations 1910. Apparently this was due to an apprenticeship.

He had two brothers who also served, Sydney Jospeh Witherow with the Canadian Engineers and Frank Witherow with the Dorset Regiment. Neither served overseas.

His elder sister Florence married Alma Edward Shears in 1917. Alma servd with the Royal Engineers and was awarded the Military Medal. Their only son, Raymond Edward Shears, served with the RAF in WW2 and was killed in Libya.

Did you go into the cemetery or just visit that memorial on the island?  If you dnt hear from the magic attic I can perhaps call in because it's about ten mins walk from me.  

I visited the cemetery but skipped the memorial as I was pressed for time and I believe there are no names anyway.

Still waiting to hear back from the Magic Attic...

If poss visit on a Sat morning there are usually lots there to help.  Unsure if you know the area but let me know if I can help