Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do we know about George Goodchild?

Felix C

GC (1888-1969) I see he was a prolific author and later film director postwar. During the war I see his name crop up quite a bit in soldier's literature. Was he working for the British Government at this time? 

7 hours ago, Felix C said:

GC (1888-1969) I see he was a prolific author and later film director postwar. During the war I see his name crop up quite a bit in soldier's literature. Was he working for the British Government at this time? 

Very little seems to be known about Goodchild despite being an incredibly prolific novelist (as many as 8-10 books /year). He produced a few books of War stories including 'Down Plug Street Way' & 'Umpteen Yarns'. On my website I have him serving with 328th Siege Battery & being invalided home with shell shock but I can't recall now where the information came from. I've no idea if he did any government work though.

44 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I think this is possibly his service/pension record Click and Silver War Badge entre Click

Mike

That seems to require an Ancestry account to access.

Just now, Dust Jacket Collector said:

That seems to require an Ancestry account to access.

I'm afraid so. I would imagine it's also on FindMyPast or available to view at Kew. Perhaps someone with greater knowledge than I can confirm it is the correct record before you go spending any money on it.

Mike

FMP should have the service record - try the £1 month subscription if you can't get the free trial.

Craig

Attested  RGA 4.12.15

Mobilised: 2.8.16 Gnr 111686, Posted 19 Coy 2.8.16

Cadet School Trowbridge 5.11.16

Comm 2Lt 24.12.16

Emb: Southampton 18.5.17 with 328 Sge Bty.

Wounded 1.6.17 (blown up by shell)

12.6.17 Gassed but remained on duty

Suffered shell shock a week later when he had a complete breakdown suffering exhaustion; sent to hospital where medical board recommended full discharge.

Rgds Paul

Thank you. I have one more person to research regarding service record. May I ask what source was used for the above? 

5 minutes ago, Felix C said:

May I ask what source was used for the above? 

That's a good question. May well be perfectly correct and I had the wrong soldier which is quite possible. The source of the information would confirm and I'm happy to be wrong. I only had a quick look at the record I posted but it doesn't seem to me to be the same soldier.

mike

I was not doubting the information. I asked for the source so I could use it research the other gentleman I am looking for. 

BTW, the shell shock episode to Goodchild above would explain why he is sympathetic to shell shocked servicemen in his war literature.