Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HLI 9th Battalion Glasgow Highlanders (71st Foot)

Chanteloube

Hi I am looking for some info on the time leading up to the death of a relative, Pte Dennis Beever (born 1882)  died 19/10/17 buried in La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery, Belgium

His service number 333789 but on some records listed as 333739. He was from West Yorkshire so not sure how he ended up with the HLI.

I cannot find much online and the War Diary is kept in the Glasgow City Archives, I have been in contact with them and I can visit to look at the records manually but i currently live in Southern France and so not straightforward. I am aware of "Shoulder To Shoulder" a history of the 9th Bttn HLI 1914-1918 by Col. A K Reid and the set of books called Proud Heritage: The Story of the Highland Light Infantry by Lt-Col L.B. Oatts but have no access to either.

I believe the regiment was involved in the Battle of Polygon Wood so perhaps he was injured, moved back then died of his injuries near to where he is buried. I have been to the cemetery once and I am planning another trip to the for the 100th anniversary of his death this October, any further information would be gratefully received or pointers as to where I might find something. 

55 minutes ago, Chanteloube said:

Hi I am looking for some info on the time leading up to the death of a relative, Pte Dennis Beever (born 1882)  died 19/10/17 buried in La Plus Douve Farm Cemetery, Belgium

His service number 333789 but on some records listed as 333739. He was from West Yorkshire so not sure how he ended up with the HLI.

I cannot find much online and the War Diary is kept in the Glasgow City Archives, I have been in contact with them and I can visit to look at the records manually but i currently live in Southern France and so not straightforward. I am aware of "Shoulder To Shoulder" a history of the 9th Bttn HLI 1914-1918 by Col. A K Reid and the set of books called Proud Heritage: The Story of the Highland Light Infantry by Lt-Col L.B. Oatts but have no access to either.

I believe the regiment was involved in the Battle of Polygon Wood so perhaps he was injured, moved back then died of his injuries near to where he is buried. I have been to the cemetery once and I am planning another trip to the for the 100th anniversary of his death this October, any further information would be gratefully received or pointers as to where I might find something. 

#333789 has two entries in the effects records - these show the monies from his army estate were paid to his widow, Edith.

At the time of his death the war gratuity which was paid shows he had 33 months qualifying service - this indicates he enlisted around January/February 1915 (assuming no breaks in qualifying service). The lack of a 4 digit number on his medal index card suggests he didn't go overseas until early 1917 or later,

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) indicates that he had served with the Royal army Medical Corp as #29423 prior to being transferred - it wasn't unusual for men to be moved away from units in order to provide extra strength for the infantry. They would be put in to whichever part of the army they were needed at the time.

Interestingly #29424 Royal army Medical Corps was a Francis Beever - a brother or relative I'd presume ?

#29408 was allocated on 26 Jan 1915
#29481 was allocated on 29 Jan 1915

This means you can likely narrow the enlistment date to between 26 and 29 Jan 1915,

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Chanteloube,

47 minutes ago, Chanteloube said:

I cannot find much online and the War Diary is kept in the Glasgow City Archives, I have been in contact with them and I can visit to look at the records manually but i currently live in Southern France and so not straightforward.

The Battalion war diary covering the period of his death is available for download (£3.50) from the National Archive here. The 100 Infantry Brigade HQ, and 33 Division HQ (General Staff) diaries would probably give you a lot more contextual information. The National Archives search page is here. All of the diaries will also be available by subscription on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris

Looking at the 1901 census it looks like Francis was his elder Brother by a year.

They both seem to have enlisted together in to the medical corps.

Craig

Yes Francis was his brother and Francis had a son called George Francis who was in the RAF in WW2, he was a navigator I believe and was shot down.

21 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

#333789 has two entries in the effects records - these show the monies from his army estate were paid to his widow, Edith.

At the time of his death the war gratuity which was paid shows he had 33 months qualifying service - this indicates he enlisted around January/February 1915 (assuming no breaks in qualifying service). The lack of a 4 digit number on his medal index card suggests he didn't go overseas until early 1917 or later,

Craig

Do you know why men were delayed for what seems like a long time before being posted to France, my grandads records show he was almost a year before he went to France, was it purely training?

• 1 year later...