Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Hugh Watts Taylor RAMC

Peter Mc

Whilst searching for something else entirely I cam across this interesting little snippet. I offer iot up as general research in case it is of interest and value to someone.

Royal Irish Constabulary, Inspector Generals Circular, Dublin Castle 5th October 1921

T/Capt. Watts Taylor R.A.M.C.

The above named, a mental patient, has been absent from hospital since 2nd inst. Last seen in Dublin dressed in light grey suit, tan shoes, and slate coloured trilby hat, carrying a rain coat.  Height about 5 feet 9 inches, complexion sallow, fair tooth-brush moustache. If located wire here and Deputy Provost Marshal, Dublin Castle.

I. H. Price, Assistant Inspector-General.

Issued to all D.C's, C.I's and D.I's

A little checking reveals this to be Hugh Watts Taylor (aka Hugh W. Taylor) born circa 1893/94 I believe in Romford, Essex.  Lieut, 16 June 1916, Captain 20 Jan 1923.  Indian Medical Service from 1923.  It would appear he emigrated to Columbia in 1925 before finally moving to Florida in 1951.

“M.C. COOPER and HUGH WATTS TAYLOR were with H.S. SOUTTAR at Antwerp, and later at Dunkirk and Furnes. At the last place, they were stationed in a Monastery which had been converted into a “Clearing Hospital” for the Belgian Army, all the worst cases being treated there before being sent to Calais. “About 100 cases per day passed through our hands, all of them very bad, much worse than any we saw at Antwerp. In five days we had over 20 amputations (one of which I did myself) and in two days we had lost more cases than during the whole time at Antwerp.” so writes H. W. TAYLOR under date October 27th.”

- The London Hospital Gazette 1914 p70

H.S. Souttar was the author of 'A Surgeon in Belgium' (1915) which was about the Field Hospitals in Antwerp and Furnes mentioned above. Souttar, Cooper and Taylor were all with the Belgian Red Cross at this time.

What Taylor was doing in Dublin in 1921, and why he was in a mental hospital, I can only speculate upon. Perhaps someone with more detailed iknowledge of the R.A.M.C. could establish if he was part of the military establishment there and/or if he was mentally affected by his war service.

Edited by Peter Mc

• 4 years later...

Hi Peter,

Hugh W. Taylor was my great-grandfather, he died in Colombia in 1956. He was born in UK in 1893. He moved to Cali Colombia in 1925 (aprox.) with a work contract in a Clinic managing X-Rays, and married Julia Rebolledo. They had 3 children.

1A5E87FE-7240-4E8A-AEB0-9063A338BA5F.jpeg

50022A26-C494-43D2-B30D-2FE97BC5A6F6.jpeg

For the Indian Medical Service file at the British Library, see  Ordering images (Pricing), or it may be cheaper to use an external service/researcher such as https://www.arcre.com  to film the document , provided the document  is allowed to be copied.  Regarding  Lee Richards of arcre.com I have not personally used his services, but have read many positive comments. He also copies files at the National Archives.

Maureen

Thank you Diana (and Charlie for promoting me) for the information. Were you aware of his time in Dublin? I have no idea of what transpired after this in respect of an arrest or similar.

2 hours ago, Peter Mc said:

Thank you Diana (and Charlie for promoting me) for the information. Were you aware of his time in Dublin? I have no idea of what transpired after this in respect of an arrest or similar.

Hi Peter,

my family had no idea about Dublin and him being a mental patient or escaping. My grandmother (his daughter) can’t believe it. According to her memories of him, he arrived in Cali-Colombia because he found a job in a clinic managing x-rays which were a novelty in Cali. (He saw the ad promoting this job overseas in London?)

He arrived with his wife ‘Betty Sheffield’ who died shortly after arriving In Colombia from cirrhosis. They had a son, Anthony, who died earlier (not sure when or why).

My great-grandmother, Julia Rebolledo’s family was teaching him Spanish when he arrived and they end up marrying and having 3 children. His mom also came to Colombia, I believe no more family stayed in Europe, all died?

Daddy Hugh was described as a very kind man, always helping everyone, attending the poor for free in Cali. He and his mom cried when they heard about the war, specially when WWII began. They never wanted to go back. 

He died in 1953 of a heart attack in Cali-Colombia.

Two of my aunts are writing a book about his life, all retold by his three children who are still alive, Graham, Lillian and Mildred. 

* He went to Florida in 1951 because his son Graham was in a school there, but they didn’t stay there to live.

** our family in Colombia has one honour medal he received after serving in WWI.

I would love to have more information about his time in Dublin, if you can lead me to it :)

On 25/11/2021 at 16:45, dianacali said:

Hi Peter,

Hugh W. Taylor was my great-grandfather, he died in Colombia in 1956. He was born in UK in 1893. He moved to Cali Colombia in 1925 (aprox.) with a work contract in a Clinic managing X-Rays, and married Julia Rebolledo. They had 3 children.

1A5E87FE-7240-4E8A-AEB0-9063A338BA5F.jpeg

50022A26-C494-43D2-B30D-2FE97BC5A6F6.jpeg

Hugh Watts Taylor

1893 - 1953

I believe H.W. Taylor appears in this photo from the book “A Surgeon in Belgium” by H.S. Souttar. It is the man standing at the end of the room, he is smiling.

4FE223DA-D1E0-4669-81C0-9943B46E5001.jpeg

Hello!

Does anyone can help with the war service of Captain Hugh Watts Taylor from 1915 to 1918?

Taylor, Hugh Watt Service Number: Z/2089 RNVR Division: Mersey

Reference: ADM 337/55/174
Description:
Name Taylor, Hugh Watt
Service Number: Z/2089
RNVR Division: Mersey
Date of Birth: 17 December 1897
Date: 1915-1916

Captain Hugh Watts TAYLOR. Royal Army Medical Corps.

•  
Reference: WO 374/67307
Description:

Captain Hugh Watts TAYLOR.

Royal Army Medical Corps.

Date:

1916-1922

hugh taylor.jpeg

His service record is available in The National Archive-free registration, no cost once registered. Or within Ancestry as are his medal rolls. He has a Pension Card within Fold3 giving a Sheffield address along with DAH and abscess as disabilities

There is a four year disparity in birth date to note

George

He appears as Watt or Watts!

Edited by George Rayner

Capt Hugh Watts Taylor RAMC was covered in detail on this other thread.

Can I suggest we limit this thread to the RNVR man? Diane, could you perhaps change the thread title to correct rank, name and Service?

Charlie

Hugh Watt Taylor born 17/12/1897  served RNVR Sept 1916-Feb 1919. Here is a sample of FindmyPast hits for this man:

321186462_GWFHughWattTaylorFMPHits.JPG.95c15a720ceeecd23f6bb6ea3ee2b7ab.JPG

Edited by charlie962

That’s my fault Charlie. I hadn’t realised both topics were in the Medical section and had suggested Diane open a new topic so as to keep the focus on 1914-18. Maybe a mod can merge the two?

FWIW it’s the RAMC line Diane needs help with. I think - though I may be wrong - the RNVR man is a red herring here.

1 hour ago, Peter Mc said:

FWIW it’s the RAMC line Diane needs help with. I think - though I may be wrong - the RNVR man is a red herring here.

agreed! She has posted some good stuff on the RAMC man.

Just a thought. Although the RIC Circular (post 1 in this thread) describes him as a mental patient, it is possible that this was a mis-communication and that he was instead a medic at the mental institution. Without a second source to verify it is hard to be sure. Perhaps his war service record or medical history files can clear this up.