Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Hugh Watts Taylor RAMC

Peter Mc

Whilst searching for something else entirely I cam across this interesting little snippet. I offer iot up as general research in case it is of interest and value to someone.

Royal Irish Constabulary, Inspector Generals Circular, Dublin Castle 5th October 1921

T/Capt. Watts Taylor R.A.M.C.

The above named, a mental patient, has been absent from hospital since 2nd inst. Last seen in Dublin dressed in light grey suit, tan shoes, and slate coloured trilby hat, carrying a rain coat.  Height about 5 feet 9 inches, complexion sallow, fair tooth-brush moustache. If located wire here and Deputy Provost Marshal, Dublin Castle.

I. H. Price, Assistant Inspector-General.

Issued to all D.C's, C.I's and D.I's

A little checking reveals this to be Hugh Watts Taylor (aka Hugh W. Taylor) born circa 1893/94 I believe in Romford, Essex.  Lieut, 16 June 1916, Captain 20 Jan 1923.  Indian Medical Service from 1923.  It would appear he emigrated to Columbia in 1925 before finally moving to Florida in 1951.

“M.C. COOPER and HUGH WATTS TAYLOR were with H.S. SOUTTAR at Antwerp, and later at Dunkirk and Furnes. At the last place, they were stationed in a Monastery which had been converted into a “Clearing Hospital” for the Belgian Army, all the worst cases being treated there before being sent to Calais. “About 100 cases per day passed through our hands, all of them very bad, much worse than any we saw at Antwerp. In five days we had over 20 amputations (one of which I did myself) and in two days we had lost more cases than during the whole time at Antwerp.” so writes H. W. TAYLOR under date October 27th.”

- The London Hospital Gazette 1914 p70

H.S. Souttar was the author of 'A Surgeon in Belgium' (1915) which was about the Field Hospitals in Antwerp and Furnes mentioned above. Souttar, Cooper and Taylor were all with the Belgian Red Cross at this time.

What Taylor was doing in Dublin in 1921, and why he was in a mental hospital, I can only speculate upon. Perhaps someone with more detailed iknowledge of the R.A.M.C. could establish if he was part of the military establishment there and/or if he was mentally affected by his war service.

Archived