Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

On-line Trench Maps

colin.green14

Hi

Are there any other sources for on-line zoomable trench maps other than NLS, British Library and McMasters.

Regards

Colin

Not that I know of, Colin. But why do you need other than NLS and McMaster? I particularly like the scrolling on the NLS site between trench and modern map. Really helped me sort out camera angles on the last trip to Belgium.

3 hours ago, John_Hartley said:

... But why do you need other than NLS and McMaster? ...

...because something like 3/5 of the Western Front doesn't appear on either of those sites maybe, John? :P

Dave

Hi Colin,

Perhaps something to consider is overlaying your trench map in Google Earth.  This has a number of advantages:

• It is field portable.
  • With a tablet and GPS, you can navigate to where you want to go and reduce the opacity of the overlay with the slider to find exactly where they were 100 years ago.
  • Google Earth supports a sophisticated technique called rubber-banding.  This allows you to align a specific point or region of the map.

We used this in 2012 to great effect.

Search for posts by forum pal Howard.  He is a master at it and occasionally offers ones he has done as KMZ downloads.

Bill

Hi

Thanks for the replies.  I was interested in other site to add to a database that I have been compiling, originally for my own use.  Please see here:-

http://www.oxfordandbucks.co.uk/trench-map.html

Saw the tmapper site this am, makes my attempt look feeble!!!

Regards

Colin

Edited by colin.green14

16 hours ago, CROONAERT said:

because something like 3/5 of the Western Front doesn't appear on either of those sites maybe

Just leave me to my Brit-centric view of the war, Dave. :rolleyes:

Them Froggies and Belgies were just hangers-on.