Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A clean man' in the Edwardian army

Hedley Malloch

I have come across a note on a soldier's record which says that he was 'a clean man'.  This is in the section of his papers in which his employment prospects are assessed.  What was meant by this phrase?  Did it simply apply to his personal cleanliness, his habits ... or what?  The date is 1914.

The fact that the term was used at all implies that there were some some soldiers who were not clean, but I find it difficult to believe that the Edwardian army would have tolerated dirty ones.

Many thanks in advance for all help received.

Clean in this context probably refers to an element of moral probity.  Jack London refers to a clean young girl in into the abyss.  Her claim to cleanliness is that she doesn't drink spirits...well not in a public house of course!  In military references you often see the expressions "clean" and "smart" used to refer to the same soldier.  Smart means usually that they were well turned out but clean is more often, in my experience, a reflection on their decency.  

The soldier was a lance sergeant, 20 years service and the only blemishes on his record were two drunkenness offences and a three month desertion to sort out some family problems, No lost kit, no late returns from leave, no making a noise in the barracks after lights out, no striking a comrade. And definitely no VD.

Just watching Charge of The Light Brigade on TV and Lord Cardigan (Trevor Howard)  asks his Sergeant Major (Norman Rossington) in the riding school if a soldier is "a clean man" and on receiving an affirmative reply Cardigan says "I'll have him as a trumpeter then".

If the words used in this exchange are an accurate representation of the pre Crimean British Army then the phrase clearly pre dates the Edwardian Army.

Steve Y

Edited by tullybrone

From the posts here, it appears to mean that he had no vices.  His service record bears that out.

Steve Y, BullerTurner, Gary - many thanks to you all.

21 hours ago, tullybrone said:

If the words used in this exchange are an accurate representation of the pre Crimean British Army then the phrase clearly pre dates the Edwardian Army.

Indeed, it goes back into Georgian times (the mad one and Fat Boy...)