Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21390 Cpl FH Benlow RE

SapperBoo

Cpl Fredrick Henry Benlow, Royal Engineers is one of the men remembered on the Ordnance Survey War Memorial.  His was from an OS/RE family, his father and two brothers both served as RE's in WW1.  I know he arrived in France on 7 October 1914 (MIC) and died at Southampton General Hospital on 26 November 1918.  The Register of Soldiers Effects show he was serving with 5 Field Survey Battalion prior to his hospitalisation.  Could anybody suggest which unit he was with when he first deployed and/or anything of his journey back to Southampton from the Western Front?

Thanks

A pattern emerges if you look at close numbers in service records on Ancestry:

21382 Pioneer attested 11.12.15 posted 24.01.17 at Sandwich to 307th Road Construction Company RE

21392 Pioneer attested 07.12.15 posted 24.01.17 at Sandwich to same

21393 Sapper  attested 10.12.15 posted 24.01.17 at Sandwich to same

Mike

I see what you mean but I know he was serving as a Sapper (with the same number) on the Ordnance Survey on 1 January 1914.

5 minutes ago, SapperBoo said:

I see what you mean but I know he was serving as a Sapper (with the same number) on the Ordnance Survey on 1 January 1914.

I should read the original post more carefully!

Mike

SB

You might want to take a look at the War Diary for 5 Field Survey Company RE on the Discovery database at Kew, ref WO95/492/4 and covering Jan 1917 to Apr 1919.

There is a charge of £3.50 for this piece to download it. The header page suggests that there are other parts, probably earlier, but I don't get any come up on a search ! It might show some info to help you along your way.

You could also look at the Long Long Trail page on RE units as there is a progression of units developing form 1914 forward and I guess FHB would be there somewhere !

Edited by sotonmate

Hi,

On 25/06/2017 at 18:22, SapperBoo said:

Could anybody suggest which unit he was with when he first deployed

Possibly the 1st Ranging Section?

Survey.jpg.99868a5e9ef3b508d4f3244ccfa2603f.jpg

Regards

Chris

On 2017-6-25 at 23:15, sotonmate said:

SB

You might want to take a look at the War Diary for 5 Field Survey Company RE on the Discovery database at Kew, ref WO95/492/4 and covering Jan 1917 to Apr 1919.

There is a charge of £3.50 for this piece to download it. The header page suggests that there are other parts, probably earlier, but I don't get any come up on a search ! It might show some info to help you along your way.

You could also look at the Long Long Trail page on RE units as there is a progression of units developing form 1914 forward and I guess FHB would be there somewhere !

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have had a good look at the diary and no specific mention of Cpl Benlow.  I am hoping to find some casualty record to give me some idea when and where he was evacuated.  The suffered the greatest number of casualties when they were part of Carey's Force but it is quite some time from March to when he died in November.

12 hours ago, clk said:

Hi,

Possibly the 1st Ranging Section?

Survey.jpg.99868a5e9ef3b508d4f3244ccfa2603f.jpg

Regards

Chris

Thanks for the suggestion.  1st Sound Ranging Section first deployed to France on 7 November 1914 and I have a list of the men in the Section at that time/  I am fairly sure he would have deploved with on of the Field Companies.  I just need to work out which one.  

Short death announcement in Hampshire Advertiser 30/10/1918. Saying died in Shirley Warren Hospital after 4 years active service in France. Says died of septic pneumonia. Eldest son of parents who lived at 93 Wilton Avenue, Southampton.

wonder f he was a Spanish flu victim?

family details here

https://southamptoncenotaph.com/frederick-henry-benlow/ 

Edited by Mark1959

Mark1959,

Thanks, Spanish flu looks like the likey candidate.  I was also woundering if it could be as a result of a gas attack.  is there a Doctor in the house?  is the Hamphire Advertiser available online?

Sapper Boo