Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can we put a date on this photograph?

Skipman

This is a photograph taken at a recruiting appeal in the Square, Aberfeldy, Perthshire. On the back it says "1916" Given conscription came into force 2/3/1916 and less if any need for recruiting, is it quite possibly 1916? There was a recruiting meeting on Friday the 24th September 1915. Is there anything in the photograph (uniform/dress, or other) that narrows down the date of the photograph?   Edit Photograph from private collection.

Mike

temp pic.jpg

Edited by Skipman

To state what may already be obvious to you, the Black Watch officer standing on the platform is wearing a great coat suggesting the photo was taken during the cold months.  Hence, it is probably not 24th September 1915.

3 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Black Watch officer standing on the platform is wearing a great coat suggesting the photo was taken during the cold months.  Hence, it is probably not 24th September 1915.

Thanks gordon92 Hadn't thought of it like that but good thinking, that makes sense.

Would I be right in thinking that there would not really be any need for recruiting meetings after March 1916?

Mike

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Thanks gordon92 Hadn't thought of it like that but good thinking, that makes sense.

Would I be right in thinking that there would not really be any need for recruiting meetings after March 1916?

Mike

I would surmise that specific regiments, especially the Highland regiments, would still be trying to fill their ranks as much as possible from locals.  What do you think?

13 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

I would surmise that specific regiments, especially the Highland regiments, would still be trying to fill their ranks as much as possible from locals.  What do you think?

I really don't know. Looking back at old newspapers there is plenty evidence of recruiting in 1915 but very little in 1916.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

5 minutes ago, Skipman said:

I really don't know. Looking back at old newspapers there is plenty evidence of recruiting in 1915 but very little in 1916.

Mike

Perhaps then, this is one of those rare recruiting meetings possibly attempting to keep the 6th Black Watch tribal?

Just now, gordon92 said:

Perhaps then, this is one of those rare recruiting meetings possibly attempting to keep the 6th Black Watch tribal?

Quite possibly. It probably is early 1916.

Mike

• Admin

I can't date the photograph but the Derby Scheme, was extended into 1916 and married men continued to be attested.  On January 20 1916 the Times reported a 'New "Derby" Effort', noting the appeal would 'not be applied to single men only". The original MSA, swiftly amended only applied to single men.  

One can imagine the recruiting officer was 'selling the benefits' of attesting under the Scheme and as has been noted it was winter time.

Ken

22 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

I can't date the photograph but the Derby Scheme, was extended into 1916 and married men continued to be attested.  On January 20 1916 the Times reported a 'New "Derby" Effort', noting the appeal would 'not be applied to single men only". The original MSA, swiftly amended only applied to single men.  

One can imagine the recruiting officer was 'selling the benefits' of attesting under the Scheme and as has been noted it was winter time.

Ken

Thanks for this, Ken.  The situation makes a lot more sense now.

Do you happen to know the orientation of the picture? I.e. which direction the shops on the right are facing?  The fronts of the shops seem to be quite strongly lit and the shop blinds are down, but the only shadows are cast by the blinds and by what might be chimneys (of to the left - casting a shadow on the top of the shop fascia). The people don't seem to be casting shadows. Strong low light from the left perhaps?

RM

• Admin

Actually having a closer look, and again I don't understand the significance but the bulk of the audience appears to be women, old men and boys.  I can see very few men who are apparently of military age, though there are half a dozen men in uniform in the audience.  Seems a bit of an odd crowd for recruitment.

Ken

Thanks all. Ken, I noticed that re the crowd, as you say mostly women and children. Maybe a fund raising event? 

Rolt the photographer was facing almost due north

Mike

594cb9d459a34_tempnorth.PNG.73d251e0b8944989fc9db8e0ffec6471.png

I agree that overall the evidence points to a date in January/February 1916.

One slogan being used at that time was, "Do not force ypur country to force you to fight, but join of your own free will. The emphasis was to strees the "shame" of having to be conscripted, as against the "honour" of volunteering.

Another basic one, but with all those children it has to have been a weekend or during the school holidays?

It looks a bit impromptu. An ordinary horse and cart, no posters.

There is what might be a local worthy standing on the cart - the only other person standing on the cart. Unfortunately he has his back to us - do you think anyone local might know who he is?

RM

Thanks Rolt. I agree. I don't know who the man on the cart could be. I don't see any of the usual suspects in the photograph, Town Council members or Provost Haggart. I will post it on the Blak Watch forum and see if anyone recognizes the officer.

Mike

4 hours ago, seaJane said:

Another basic one, but with all those children it has to have been a weekend or during the school holidays?

Another possibility is that the speech was significant enough to make a school excursion out of the event.

19 hours ago, Skipman said:

I thought the soldiers were Black Watch. Could they be Cameron Highlanders?

Mike

Sent you a PM on this, Mike.  All 8 soldiers evident in the image wearing Black Watch badge not Cameron.

Mike

Mike,

Instead of reruitment, could it be an officer back on furlough giving locals an update on the goings on of the local btn?

Derek.

Hi Derek. I suppose it could be. I was zooming in on some of the ladies and some of them seem to be holding something. Also the schoolboys with collars are striking. I have quite a number of newspaper reports but nothing that is obviously this event. Flag day, fund raising?

Mike

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

Sent you a PM on this, Mike.  All 8 soldiers evident in the image wearing Black Watch badge not Cameron.

Mike

Thank you Mike, most helpful.

Mike

Was there a significant local day at the beginning of March? A fair or market perhaps? The term or quarter day was then 28 February, if I remember rightly.

RM

Hello Rolt. There was certainly a market every Thursday.I will keep searching, you never know, the penny might drop. Thanks for all your interest.

Mike

• 6 months later...
On ‎22‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 21:45, Skipman said:

This is a photograph taken at a recruiting appeal in the Square, Aberfeldy, Perthshire. On the back it says "1916" Given conscription came into force 2/3/1916 and less if any need for recruiting, is it quite possibly 1916? There was a recruiting meeting on Friday the 24th September 1915. Is there anything in the photograph (uniform/dress, or other) that narrows down the date of the photograph?   Edit Photograph from private collection.

Mike

temp pic.jpg

Cancelled - posted on the wrong thread.

RM

Edited by rolt968