Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Army Service Numbers

Keitha630

I am wondering if Is it possible to tell when a man joined the Royal Tank Corp or which unit he would have initially served in from his service number. I have details of, 110478 Pte John B Bradshaw who has a medal issue card showing his entitlement  to a War and Victory pair only. I have looked on Ancestry but cannot find any enlistment details.

thanks Keitha630

Edited by Keitha630

Hi Keith, I think you need to attract the attention of one of the forum Tankies. You could either add Tank Regiment as a label or edit the post and add it to the title.

Having just looked at the records available on Ancestry for Albert Edward Donaldson, 110472, who was transferred from the West Yorks to the Machine Gun Company, and subsequently the Tank Corps on 6 July, 1917. The transfer to the Tanks Depot is shown to be on 29 December, 1917, so  I would suggest between those dates. I am looking to see if I can find other records to corroborate this suggestion.

Mark

Edited by BFBSM
Clarification, i hope.

22 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Hi Keith, I think you need to attract the attention of one of the forum Tankies. You could either add Tank Regiment as a label or edit the post and add it to the title.

Thanks I have taken your advice.

22 hours ago, BFBSM said:

Having just looked at the records available on Ancestry for Albert Edward Donaldson, 110472, who was transferred from the West Yorks to the Machine Gun Company, and subsequently the Tank Corps on 6 July, 1917. The transfer to the Tanks Depot is shown to be on 29 December, 1917, so  I would suggest between those dates. I am looking to see if I can find other records to corroborate this suggestion.

Mark

Thanks for the info greatly appreciated. 

The Machine Gun Corps number was issued in early 1917.  The unit to which he transfered should be shown in his service record, often abbreviated.  It is likely to be shown as "?" Bn. 

On 6/25/2017 at 00:11, delta said:

The Machine Gun Corps number was issued in early 1917.  The unit to which he transfered should be shown in his service record, often abbreviated.  It is likely to be shown as "?" Bn. 

Many thanks, there is only his MIC available, so no leads there. Do you think there could be any details held by the Regimental museum ?

The Tank Museum, which acts as the RTR Regimental Museum  rarely  has such details unless a relative or researcher has lodged it with them.

Edited by delta

22 hours ago, delta said:

The Tank Museum, which acts as the RTR Regimental Museum  rarely  has such details unless a relative or researcher has lodged it with them.

Many thanks