Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Fred George Carrie, 5th Loyal North Lancs

Mark Hone

Mrs H. conducts occasional assemblies at her school which commemorate particular fallen pupils. Her forthcoming assembly about Third Ypres will mention Lt Fred Carrie, who was killed on 26th October 1917. After leaving school he worked in the Bolton Treasurer's Dept. He enlisted in November 1914. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.  We have a fairly poor quality photograph of him from the local newspaper but if anyone has a better image or more information about him it would be gratefully received. 

22 minutes ago, Mark Hone said:

more information

Seems he was a Lance Corporal (acting) #3192

Medal Index on Ancestery HERE

29 minutes ago, Mark Hone said:

Mrs H. conducts occasional assemblies at her school which commemorate particular fallen pupils. Her forthcoming assembly about Third Ypres will mention Lt Fred Carrie, who was killed on 26th October 1917. After leaving school he worked in the Bolton Treasurer's Dept. He enlisted in November 1914. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial.  We have a fairly poor quality photograph of him from the local newspaper but if anyone has a better image or more information about him it would be gratefully received. 

Mark

A few years ago I researched the 170 Infantry Brigade attack at Poelkapelle on 26/10/1917 and made lists of the Bolton men from 2/5 LNL and 4/5 LNL who were k in a on that day or who d of w in the days following. I also listed those who were honoured. It was Bolton's worst day for casualties in WW1. Unfortunately I had it all on a memory stick which died on me last week but it was backed up at Bolton Library History Centre and at the Lancashire Infantry Museum. I copied all the photographs and reports of both categories that were in the Bolton Journal and handed those to the Lancashire Infantry Museum where they went into the 5 LNL box. I intend to go into Bolton library tomorrow to see if I can retrieve my back up files (if they still have them). I will also check what there is on him, from memory I am sure that there was a report of his death. You may want to read the WD of 170 IB and also this thread

Brian

Brian

Mark

I retrieved my files from the Lancashire Infantry Museums today and have sent you a message with all the relevant dates from the Bolton papers.

Brian

My wife duly gave the assembly today, in which she tied together the stories of Fred Carrie and the Welsh poet Hedd Wyn.