Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RUSSIAN SILVER MEDAL

Could some dedicated medal collector oblige?-  A friend has asked me what a "Russian silver medal" is on the Great War medal rolls. She has copied off the page from the medal rolls that her subject of interest appear on -  the recipients all seem to be Merchant Navy- an annotation for one says it was awarded for an action of a merchant ship fighting off a U boat in the Med. in 1915/1916(Sorry,can't remember for sure). Could not see what the connection with Russia was-nor does general browsing throw up any obvious reference to what this particular medal is.

Should be old hat for a medal collector but could some kind soul  oblige an idiot who thinks that a medal is a lump of beef on a plate....... Say no more

What is the name of her subject??? Can we see a copy of the list she are talking about????

Service men and women did not have to serve in Russia or with Russian troops to be awarded a Russian medal. Same applies to all of our foreign recipients. Allied countries handed each other awards, to be handed to deserving recipients. Some times foreign awards were awarded to specific actions, there were quite a few Russian awards for Jutland, I think because this was seen as a morale boosting battle, therefore the WO would have seen fit to reward more sailors than could be using the Imperial system.

Peter

FG- Thanks-  Answer: No idea-  I will see her again in the next few days-  She has an interest in a war memorial near Ipswich- but had a print-out of a page of the war medals stuff on Ancestry/FMP  (Looked like the navy one). A number of names were listed and a "home port"- civilian (Hull,etc), not service. In the medals column it was written "Russian silver medal".  If it had been a lower grade of a Russian order, I think I would have tracked it down -probably is. But no name of order or grade was given- hence my request for info. on GWF!!

Cross of St George, gold and black ribbon? Made in silver. Several grades or classes. 

• 2 years later...

On 13/10/2014 at 18:41, Sepoy said:

During the Great War, (not including the High Command) the Allied Countries, such as France, Belgium, Russia, Serbia and Italy, exchanged numbers of Medals to be awarded to worthy recipients. Serbia gave awards such as the Order of the White Eagle; the Cross of Karageorge; The Obilich Medal in gold (gilt) and Obilich Medal in silver.

On the whole these awards do not have citations (some Russian awards for Jutland do have citations).

@Sepoy
I was interested to come across this. Are there citations within the content of ADM 116/1493 (Russian decorations and medals. Principally in the Battle of Jutland) ?

Thanks

Keith

Edited by Keith_history_buff
erroneous duplication of content

Hi Keith
I must confess that I had forgotten the National Archives reference, but I am certain that is the document file in question.
Here are two pages from the file. I was interested in Leonard Davies who was awarded a Cross of St George 4th class for his service on board HMS Barham during the Battle of Jutland.
Sepoy

140.JPG

141.JPG

Edited by Sepoy

Hi Sepoy,

Thanks for having taken the time to have shared this. From what I have seen with foreign awards to the army, there is not usually a source of information as to the act of gallantry that led to the award. It is good to know that some further information is available in respect of Jutland awards. It is interesting to have the case study of M6893 Leonard Cyril Davies.

Thanks
Keith