Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Southport and Keighley. Nurse Lucy Greenhalgh

Radlad

I am researching a Nurse from Westhoughton who died in 1918. Her name is Lucy Greenhalch

She was granted her Nurses Certificate of training on 7th of April 1915 having trained at Townleys Bolton (at that time a military hospital). The decision to issue her certificate was Made on the 31st March 1915 and she actually finished her training on the 20th of February. She resigned very shortly after.

On the 15th April 1915 her address was given as Alexandra Nursing Home, Manchester Road , Southport by her training hospital   and in May 1915 , she herself gave her address as  The Hospital, Shaftsbury Road, Birkdale , Southport

Her address was still Shaftsbury Road, Birkdale in March 1917 when she applied for a job as Temporary Charge Nurse with Keighley Union hospital board. This is the point where I have lost her until her death which occurred in Hollins cottage Homes, the civilian side of Townleys Hospital, and was due to the effects of influenza

My Questions.

Were the Southport Hospital (s) Civil or Military, and do any staff records exist for these places

Are there any Staff records existing for Keighley Union for the time period.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Radlad
spelling

I think this may be it, mentioned in the article linked: http://www.merseyside-at-war.org/story/st-john-hospital-southport/

There is also a brief reference to "Birkdale Officers’ Hospital, Birkdale, Southport" here: http://huddled.co.uk/2014/07/giants-spectacular-provides-poignant-anniversary-merseysides-red-cross-volunteers/

Regards

seaJane

Edited by seaJane
additional

Thanks for those links Jane. Think I'm going to have to take a trip to the seaside soon. Keighley can wait until I've renewed my passport:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Re Keighley, according to the West Yorkshire archive Service website there are records for the Auxiliary Hospital on Fell Lane at the Local History Room at Keighley Library. This includes the minute record of the Guardians, patient records and some photographs. Might be worth giving them a ring to see if it is worth renewing your passport.

On ‎02‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 08:05, ilkley remembers said:

Re Keighley, according to the West Yorkshire archive Service website there are records for the Auxiliary Hospital on Fell Lane at the Local History Room at Keighley Library. This includes the minute record of the Guardians, patient records and some photographs. Might be worth giving them a ring to see if it is worth renewing your passport.

Thank you for that. It will certainly be worth a phone call. Watch this space!

On 19/06/2017 at 17:31, seaJane said:

I think this may be it, mentioned in the article linked: http://www.merseyside-at-war.org/story/st-john-hospital-southport/

In case it helps - St John's VAD hospital was a collective name covering both The Grange Hospital on Roe Lane and The Woodlands Hospital on Manchester Road. The Woodlands in particular was on land now occupied by the Southport Fire and Ambulance Station, where Manchester Road meets Lord Street.

I have a handful of photos taken during my Great Grandad's covalescence at the Woodlands in 1917, including a nurse or two - I'd love to think this lady might be one of them, but I suppose there's little way of knowing!

All the best

Ben

2 hours ago, Triumph2000 said:

- I'd love to think this lady might be one of them, but I suppose there's little way of knowing!

All the best

Ben

So Would I !!!!. But her address is quite clearly given as ' The hospital, Shaftsbury road, Birkdale, Southport'' . I am struggling to identify any hospital on Shaftsbury road at the time

The Manchester Evening news of 20th April 1915 ran this ad. Note that "20 beds" - this would probably mean it was simply one of the larger houses being used as a hospital, rather than a purpose built facility

595f2fa192318_Snap2017-07-07at07_50_53.png.9f2fe6b1ea4e8a2fdbf70ec3849d8c4a.png

Thank you Stephen. That is indeed a great help. I'm still not sure whether the hospital was civilian or military but for them to openly advertise for a cook, I presume it was a civvy establishment> makes a visit to Southport more important now that I know the hospital existed.

• 1 month later...

found some information on the hospital. It was a civilian infectious diseases treatment hospital. Not tied to the military in any way. 

so, the quest continues to Keighley.  

• 2 years later...

Just in case you were unaware - I've just completed the IWM Memorials Register entry for the WW1 Memorial in St Mary's Church, Leigh - Lucy Greenhalgh is commemorated on that memorial.2079880115_StMarys-WW1.jpg.625b50c36f3772f92f4311b1dce80df0.jpg