Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

wrightdw

Churchill's Secret War WIth Lenin: British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-20

James A Pratt III

Glad to be of help Daimen. I got the book Russian and Soviet Battleships by ILL in the US some years ago and xeroxed off the pages. You might be able to contact the author either through Warship or Warship International Magazines. This work is the book on the subject.

GrenPen

Some augmented indexing, in reference to the French and Italian elements, would benefit the second edition.

Also, there was an assumption in the book that the French battalion of troops for overseas service (21e Battailon de Marche Infanterie Coloniale) were themselves from overseas territories which was not the case,(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troupes_coloniales). In Anglo-Saxon terms, they are more akin to the European regiments of the HEIC prior to 1857.

As I understand it, the American and Italian contingents were armed with Moisin Nagant rifles made by Westinghouse. I am sure that I recently read that one party (deliberately ambiguous) of Royal Marine Light Infantry were similarly equipped.

SteveMarsdin

Good morning All,

The 21e Battailon de Marche Infanterie Coloniale were from mainland France but there were a few non-French colonial troops in Siberia. Although prominently European, the Colonial Corps battalion in Siberia did include some who weren't from mainland France:

Siberia.JPG.2be5c66f50741dbe177864241a7428f2.JPG1156952761_Siberia2.JPG.35d7f13bbee29b567dc1a41f3125acda.JPG

Although the JMO on the MemoiresdesHommes site http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/inventaires/ead_ir_consult.php?a=4&ref=SHDGR__GR_26_N_II

from which these extracts are taken refers to Bataillon Coloniale Sibérien I cant find the  full JMO for 21e Battailon de Marche Infanterie Coloniale, just one for the 2e compagnie de skieurs

http://www.memoiredeshommes.sga.defense.gouv.fr/fr/arkotheque/inventaires/ead_ir_consult.php?a=4&ref=SHDGR__GR_26_N_II

Steve

GrenPen

Hi Steve,

I have replied to your interesting post, albeit on a different thread, with a view to staying on the topic of Damien's book.

One thing I will say, though, is that Damien's book does refer to a reconnaissance party involving both Lieutenant Angell and Caporal De Hange, both of whom are mentioned in the war diary for the 2e compagnie de skieurs.

It would be good to know what other books out there that, like Damien's sterling work, have researched the North Russia Expeditionary Force, albeit on the nations other than Britain and Commonwealth. I have come across a history of the 339th US Infantry that is online and in the public domain.

James A Pratt III

The site that deals with WW I era armor is the  Landships  forum see landships.activeboard.com