Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Churchill's Secret War WIth Lenin: British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the Russian Civil War, 1918-20

wrightdw

Thanks Damien for the use of the photos of Lieut Mercer.

17 Squadron photo - The officer second from top (against the wall) looks very much to me like Norman Greenslade.  I don't believe Sidney Frogley appears in this group.

Couldn't find this officer in your 'Roll of Australians known to have served in Russia 1918-20' and thought you might be interested:-

Lieut Arthur Clive Watson

Home Address: Robert Street, St Kilda, Victoria, Australia

RAF Russia 13/7/19

From "A" Squadron to HQ RAF 2/10/19

From HQ RAF to "A" Squadron 8/10/19

"A" Det. Training Mission South Russia to HQ Taganrog 17/10/19

Constantinople 12/4/20

Embarked for UK 8/7/20

6/12/20 Repatriated to Australia and struck off strength on termination of Standardised Voyage 30/12/20

Rob

Edited by RFT
Lieut A C Watson added.

15 hours ago, Waggoner said:

Damien,

Thank you for this information. Apparently, there was also a Lieut. Eyford who was also a Canadian. I haven't looked him up yet.

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/searches/soldierDetail.asp?Id=153627

Edit: had a look and found his CEF Service Record - http://central.bac-lac.gc.ca/.item/?op=pdf&app=CEF&id=B2967-S040

He was released from the CSEF in Siberia for a commission in the BMRM.

All the best,

Gary

Thanks Gary, I should have finished my previous comment about Capt. Brian Horrocks, MC, Middlesex Regiment, taken prisoner with the Railway Mission at Krasnoyarsk, he later competed as an athlete at the 1924 Paris Olympics and commanded XXX Corps during the Market-Garden operations in 1944 and was played by Edward Fox in the movie "A Bridge Too Far".

Damien

I too have your book and although I am only part way through it I am finding  it very informative. Well done. 

With regard to your interlocutor Richard, I note that most of his research appears to come from internet sources. There is nothing wrong with that, but his lack of other sources leaves me wondering.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

On 07/07/2017 at 03:50, RFT said:

Thanks Damien for the use of the photos of Lieut Mercer.

17 Squadron photo - The officer second from top (against the wall) looks very much to me like Norman Greenslade.  I don't believe Sidney Frogley appears in this group.

Couldn't find this officer in your 'Roll of Australians known to have served in Russia 1918-20' and thought you might be interested:-

Lieut Arthur Clive Watson

Home Address: Robert Street, St Kilda, Victoria, Australia

RAF Russia 13/7/19

From "A" Squadron to HQ RAF 2/10/19

From HQ RAF to "A" Squadron 8/10/19

"A" Det. Training Mission South Russia to HQ Taganrog 17/10/19

Constantinople 12/4/20

Embarked for UK 8/7/20

6/12/20 Repatriated to Australia and struck off strength on termination of Standardised Voyage 30/12/20

Rob

Hi Rob, Fantastic, thanks for this, I will add him for the second edition.

I see he was 1561, Pte. AAMC before discharge to join an RFC commission, perhaps an unusual progression from medical service to RFC.

There was a "Lieutenant A. Watson, RAF" who was awarded an Imperial Russian Order of St. Stanislaus, 3rd Class with Swords, I wonder if this is him?

Watson also suffered a GSW right leg in France, 3rd September 1916.

Thanks Damien for the additional info -  This was news to me!

Lieut A. Watson awarded St Stanislaus 3rd Class with Swords but service record for A C Watson makes no reference to this!  Likely he is the Watson referred to but, to be sure, more research required.  Still one of my things to do!!!!

More info on A C Watson:-

2nd Lt 12th AFA  A.T.F.

11/4/17  2/Lt On Prob. R.F.C. S.R. 17/3/17

5/9/17    2/Lt F.O.  12/7/1721/9/17  

2/Lt Confirmed in rank [no date]

Medical Board

Fit G.S. in warm climate e.g. Egypt, failing that H.S. not over 3000ft.  11/11/17

Fit G.S. in a warm climate or fit H.S. as unit in Elementary flying.  27/2/18

Special Qualifications

Census/  Since joining R.F.C.

Machines flown M.F.S.H. Avro BE2C, 2E, BE12, FE2B, FE2D,

RE8  Passed School of Gunnery

Aboukir & Turnberry

From Egypt to 47 Squadron  17/9/18

From 47 Squadron to to Hospital  [no date]

From Hospital to 47 Squadron 16th Wing  9/12/18

R.A.F. Russia 13/7/19

47 Squadron Records (South Russia)

Arrived South Russia from Salonika per S.S. War Celt 3/6/19

From Rostov 12/10/19

To Taganrog, 17/10/19

Embarked Russia  28/3/20

Rob

Edited by RFT

Hi Rob

The Foreign Office file for him only has initial not first name

"File: WO 388/4  Decorations awarded to, and received from, Russia & Serbia  1915-17 & 1915-20"

States

"Watson, Lt A, St Stanislas, 3rd with swords & bow, RAF"

Peter

Hi Peter,

"3rd Class with Bow" - Thanks for taking the time to look him up.  Much appreciated.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Damien

In researching the limited military history of my cousin, who served with the 2nd Battalion, King's Royal Rifle Corps, I discovered in his Medal Roll dated 1919, a reference to "Russian Relief Force."

I understand that the KRRC formed No. 1 Special Company KRRC at the Rifle Depot, Winchester on 5 Apr 1919, comprising 7 officers and 212 other ranks.

My question therefore is, what part did No. 1 Special Coy play, if any, in the Syren Force or indeed any other Russian campaign that your book details?

My cousin's details are 46420 Pte WOOLMORE William D and the Medal Roll entry is the only reference I can find of William's military service.

While your book is on order, I can't wait for it to arrive in Middle Earth!

Hi Crab, I don't have anything specific on WOOLWORE however the operations of No 1. Special Company, KRRC and their sister unit No. 1 Special Company, Middlesex Regiment are covered in detail in my book.

For interest the KRRC Company had four platoons, three KRRC and one on attachment from Rifle Brigade.

I have attached a page from my book for your interest.

Hi Scorer, at 576 pages it should take you a long time to get through it! Thanks for buying a copy.

page.jpg.fe7973beb61aad517ffcfb4202fee935.jpg

Hi Damien,

Best of luck with the book.

"In March 1919, a Company of Riflemen was formed at the Rifle Depot for service in Murmansk in northern Russia. This Company was ordered to be formed entirely of men of the KRRC, but owing to there not being sufficient men of that Corps at the Depot, it was found necessary to form one Platoon from the Rifle Brigade."

There is an article in one of The Rifle Brigade Chronicles concerning this Company and it's activities if you would care for a copy.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your comment. I have a copy of the RB Chronicle for North Russia and East Africa which I was lucky to pick up on ebay some years ago quite cheaply.

From memory there were some discrepancies with the dates in the chronicle article, I think one of the discrepancies was that the Company did not disembark on the day that they arrived at Murmansk.

I am not convinced by the statement in the Chronicle that the fourth (RB) platoon was added to the Company to make up for not enough KRRC men at the Depot, their sister unit, No. 1 Special Company, Middlesex Regiment comprised only three platoons. Both units were formed at the same time under the same War Office directive.

My hypothesis is that the RB platoon was added to the KRRC Company by virtue of both regiments sharing the Depot at Winchester. Many of the units sent to North Russia in spring/summer 1919 were composite.

Both "Special Company's" were formed at the same time as drafts of men from dozens of regiments were being drafted into 1st (Grogan's) Brigade, North Russia Relief Force.

This graph gives some indication of the number of drafts which made up 2nd Bn., Hampshire Regiment in North Russia, these men were not volunteers, they were drafted from their regimental depots for service in North Russia despite assurances from the British government that only volunteers were being sent to Russia:

Officers and Other Ranks serving with 2nd Bn., Hampshire Regiment on disembarkation in England after service in North Russia, October 1919.

Officers:

Other Ranks:

Hampshire Regiment

South African Scottish

Somerset Light Infantry

Dorset Regiment

Wiltshire Regiment

King’s Liverpool Regiment

Northampton Regiment

Royal Scots Fusiliers

Royal Sussex Regiment

Leicester Regiment

Royal Irish Fusiliers

East Kent Regiment

Devon Regiment

East Surrey Regiment

Grenadier Guards

Coldstream Guards

Irish Guards

Leinster Regiment

Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Essex Regiment

Royal Fusiliers

Royal Muster Fusiliers

Royal West Surrey Regiment

Royal Irish Regiment

Norfolk Regiment

Connaught Rangers

Suffolk Regiment

Middlesex Regiment

Army Ordnance Corps

RAMC (Medical Officer)

Chaplain to the Forces

Tank Corps (Interpreter)

TOTAL:                                                         50                                                   866

Other than casualties which are not included in these totals, the original battalion CO South African Lieut.-Col. Jack Sherwood Kelly, VC, CMG, DSO is not included in these figures, being relieved of command in North Russia and Court Martialled on his return to England for writing letters to the press critical of the conduct of the campaign.

He was relieved of command in the field by General Ironside and replaced by another South African, Lieut.-Col. D.M. McLeod, DSO, MC, DCM, 4th South African Inf.

There were so many representatives from drafts from Scottish regiments in the Hampshires sister battalion in North Russia, 1st Oxs and Bucks Light Infantry, that they nicknames themselves the "Oxs and Jocks".

Slightly tangential but interesting none the less.

Edited by wrightdw

On ‎23‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 04:44, wrightdw said:

Hi Scorer, at 576 pages it should take you a long time to get through it! Thanks for buying a copy.

That's no problem .... but it's the old, old story - "So many books, so little time!".

Hi Damien,

1st Oxs and Bucks Light Infantry, that they nicknames themselves the "Oxs and Jocks".

Yes, after the war my grandfather transferred from the 2nd Life Guards to the 2nd Scots Guard (1923), he and others used to call them the Jockney Guards as there were so many East Londoners in the Regiment. In his own words "You would have had difficulty finding a Scotsman at all."

A few other differences in the article, not so sure as the Depot kept very limited numbers at Winchester, around the 120/150 mark I seem to recall, mainly involved in clerical duties, keeping Rifle Records etc. Most went to the 5th, 6th or Southern Command Depots, many records I have come across called the Depot the Southern Command Depot with their records noting as such. 

However Russia is an area I have very limited knowledge about as it is outside of my main sphere of interest, hence your research is by far more knowledgeable than my own.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Hello Damian,

I am half way through reading your book, and am finding it extremely interesting. I became interested in the Russian campaign because the 10th Royal Scots were the local Battalion here in what was then Linlithgowshire {mainly now known as West Lothian}.

The part played by the 2/10 Royal Scots is well covered in your book. It may be of interest that the first Royal Scot casualty, L/Cpl Ernest Henry Bardell from Bedford died as the result of an accident, when he fell into the hold of the S.S. City of Cairo. Ironically, he was helping to put a cover over the hold to stop anyone falling in! Ernest died at 11.15 in the evening on 27th August 1918. An inquiry was held into his death 2 days later, and he was found to have died “as the result of an accident, not arising out of his own negligence, whilst on duty.”

It is clear that Ernest died on 27th August, although the CWGC states 30th August. So does SDGW and the Scottish National War Memorial. The Register of Soldiers Effects does get the date right.

I am also interested local Doctor John Boyd Michie, G.P. at Whitburn. He reported for duty with the R.A.M.C. at Blackpool on 29th October 1918, and sailed for Russia soon after the Armistice. He died in Russia on 30th December 1918.

I was wondering if your research uncovered any details about Lt. Michie, such as how and where he died, and which R.A.M.C. unit he was attached to.

Regards,

Alf McM

Hi Alf,

Thanks for your information on Bardell, I have added it to my notes.

It is funny how CWGC can get things wrong, in my book I write about the curious case of L./Cpl. John Ferries, a Royal Scot serving with 1st Bn., Oxs and Bucks Light Infantry detailed in the attached snippet from my book.

I don't have anything additional on Michie, I suspect given his date of death that he died of sickness, Canadian Capt. Royce Dyer, DCM, MM and Bar commanding 1st Bn. Slavo-British Legion died of illness on the same day. I can't say which unit he was with although it is more likely that it was with one of the stationary hospitals.

Ferries.jpg

Hello Damien,

CWGC’s date of death for Ernest Bardell is a bit baffling. {There are more details on his accident in his service records, available on Ancestry}. John Ferries’ name on CWGC is even more of a mystery. He is not mentioned on SDGW, or the Register of Soldiers Effects, or the Scottish National War Memorial.

Thanks for looking for information on Lt. Michie. I also think that he probably died of illness, or injury. Incidentally, it was recorded in the local newspaper that he was willing to serve in the R.A.M.C., but did not want to be sent to Mesopotamia or Russia!

Regards,

Alf McM

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Damian,

It is a very interesting subject that I wanted to get into deeper. Did you include any information regarding the British chemical weapon attacks in Russia during this war? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2017 at 10:04, Sanai Burak Turna said:

Hi Damian,

It is a very interesting subject that I wanted to get into deeper. Did you include any information regarding the British chemical weapon attacks in Russia during this war? 

Hi, Yes there is quite a bit on the development and use of the 'M' aerial gas bombs designed locally at Archangel. Their design and development was led by a Tasmanian mining engineer serving with the Royal Engineers, Major Thomas Davies, DSO, MC, RE. On returning to Australia after the war Davies became a Tasmanian Member of Parliament.

I have attached a couple of pages from my book for your interest.

219.jpg.5ef32278c0b6493184b05baa3913d5bb.jpg

159.jpg.8607920617fb018511dff38e30d1d4b7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 14:11, The Scorer said:

I've received my copy ... now to find the time to read it!

Well, I've now found the time, finished it, and what a good book it is!

I've not often read one with so much detail, especially of the decorations that were awarded. The detail doesn't detract from the content, though, as it is in context with the description of what happened, when and why. The only drawback is that there's a small amount of repetition, but some of this is inevitable because it covers so many sectors and is essential to give a full picture of each sector.

Although I knew a little about some of the action before reading the book, it was very little, along the lines of "I know that we fought in Russia, but I don't know where and when or who was involved." Following my first law of books, that it should tell you something that you didn't know before, this book does do that, and now I know much more than I did before.

It is very well worth reading, and I would congratulate Damien on his work.

• 1 month later...

Tanks Scorer and everyone who has bought a copy, I appreciate all the support.

I am pleased to announce that the first print run has completely sold out, the second print run is now with the publisher and being distributed out.

I am pleased that I have been able in some way to get the services of those men who fought in Russia, many of whom died and are buried there, better told on this 100th Anniversary of Lenin's Bolshevik Revolution.

I ordered my copy through Amazon.ca in late August and it was shipped on 4 September...still hasn't arrived! Fortunately, they have given me a refund. Guess I should wait for the second printing to be completed?

All the best,

Gary

On 11/10/2017 at 02:31, Waggoner said:

I ordered my copy through Amazon.ca in late August and it was shipped on 4 September...still hasn't arrived! Fortunately, they have given me a refund. Guess I should wait for the second printing to be completed?

All the best,

Gary

Hi Gary, that's a shame, amazon normally have a good reputation in this regard, I am pleased they refunded you and sorry for your trouble.

I would recommend ordering again now, the second edition is with retailers and a copy can be obtained relatively cheaply, there is no guarantee how long they will last at discounted prices, as the supply dwindles retailers put the price up.

Cheers,

Damien

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Damien

In your research did you come across anything on the Manchester Regiment in Russian. Not sore if you have seen this before.

Gazette of the Archangel Force 1919

P5241862.JPG