Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Taffy Jones (74 Sqn) - 1918 diary

Errol Martyn

Taffy Jones in his book Tiger Squadron quotes from his diary from 3 April 1918 to 7 Aug 1918 only. From his remarks it seems that he continued to write up the diary after 7 Aug 1918.

Does anyone know if the diary still survives and if so where or how it may be accessed?

Errol

Hi Errol

according to TNA there is Royal Air Force: 74 Squadron Royal Flying Corps, orderly Room record book, RFC London Colney,

Date: 1917-1918
Held by: Royal Air Force Museum, Department of Research and Information Services, not available at The National Archives

if that helps

regards

Jon

Hello Errol

The 74 Sqn Operations Record Book is at The National Archives under reference AIR 27/644.  I'm not sure if Taffy would have kept up his diary as according to the ORB he was 'sent via hospital to England for a rest in August.  He had then brought down 38 EA.  He rejoined the squadron on the day the Armistice was signed.'

Graeme

It was forbidden to keep a diary, so I doubt very much if it  would be in any official records. His widow may possibly have donated it to the RAF Museum or the IWM. Might be worth a try. All his papers must have gone somewhere.  There must be a lot of stuff still out there. Only yesterday I came across some  old (1981) letters in my files from a chap named Cliff Vincent. In one part he talks about being in touch with W B Giles the ex 74 Sqdn pilot in WW1 and his wife, who was the widow of Taffy Jones. He mentions that he bought some of Taffy's books from her and that at one time they - Taffy and his wife - were friendly with TE Lawrence and quote: 'had letters and things from him.'  Anthologies  of correspondence of T E L with various  people have been published and sell for ridiculous prices these days. So I wonder what happened to the 'things' and letters that Taffy and his wife had. They must surely be out there somewhere.

Gents,

Many thanks for your replies. I see now hat Taffy's steady run of victories ceased completely after 7 August, so that would tie in with him being absent from the squadron until the Armistice.

Errol