Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking information of Acting Captain George Valentine Langley

Noor

Hi all,

I am trying to research 2nd Lieutenant George Valentine Langley (acting Captain 1 month 1919). He was period of time in 1919 appointed as a company commander in Chinese Labour Corps.

I can see his file is in NA and I may get it but at the moment I am looking is there anything else available of him.

I found his birth note, Medal Index Card, medal roll and London Gazette inputs but nothing else. I just ran out of FMP subscription and I can't  check does he appears on the Irish newspapers.

Any help to research him would be great.

Here is info that I have so far:

George Valentine Langley (1862 - 1945)

Second Lieutenant

Labour Corps

George born in Athlone, Co.Westmeath around 1862-63. Mother Marion Langley (1828-1908) from County Dublin. 1901 they lived 2 Lansdowne Road, Pembroke West, Dublin. He had following brothers and sisters:

Edward Jasper Langley (1854 – XXX)

Robert Simmons Langley (1856-1931) Architect

Edith S Langley (later Thompson) (1869 – XXX)

Also they had Domestic housemaid and a cook.

1911 Census shows that George lived with his brother Robert in the same area 118 in Shelbourne Road, Pembroke West, Dublin. George’s occupation is marked as building contractor. Himself and his brother marked interestingly their religion as “Brought Up as Member of Irish Church Both Not Now Attached to any Recognised Religions Community”.

During the Great War 55 years old George Valentine Langley was commissioned on the 11th August 1917 as a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant to Labour Corps. He landed in France March 1918.

4th September 1919 he received rank Acting Captain while commanding Chinese Labour Corps Company.

A month later, on the 17th November 1919 he relinquishes Acting Captain rank on closing to be employed the Corps.

Following year, on 26th March 1920 Lieutenant Langley relinquish his commission on completion of service.

He lived 1 Carlton Villas, Shelbourne Road, Dublin. His British War medal and Victory medal were issued to him on the 20th January 1922.

He died end of September 1945 age 83.

More random details about him and his family that I was able to locate. Somehow I still haven't found out their father's name. Their mother was Marion Langley (1828-1908) but she was a widow on 1901 Census already and they had been moved around a lot in Ireland (almost every child was born in different county in Ireland).

Irish Independent 1945.jpg

William H Langley CMG.jpg

Can't find anything else about him. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Freemans Journal 1763-1924, Friday, December 02, 1910 , shows a fire in his building yard

• 8 months later...

Hello. I'm interested in your relatives. I have a Robert George Simmons who married a Deborah Langley. Relations in this family were George Valentine Simmons. Is it a coincidence that there are such name matches/usage. Please contact me via email if possible

• 3 years later...

Capt. George Valentine Langley, Labour Corps.

WFA/Fold3 have a Pension Index Card [from a batch printed 5/21]

Disability: Bronchitis

Address: 1 Carlton Villas, Shelbourne Rd, Dublin

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo