Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wilfrid Bernard Gostling MC

SapperBoo

I am struggling to find the Gazette entry and citation for the Military Cross awarded to Lt. Wilfrid (Wifred) Bernard Gostling, 1/11 Battalion, London Regiment.  I have found his MC MIC at the TNA WO-389-14 (PDF 2) which states Gazetted 3-6-19 and Decorated 15 Sep 1920.  I have found a very blurred copy of the Gazette entry at the TNA WO-389-8 (PDF 2) which confirms 2-6-19 and the theatre as Egypt.  I have not found any citation.  His 93-year-old daughter thinks it was for action at the Second Battle of Gaza.

Could any kind person point me in the direction of Gazette entries on www.thegazette.co.uk or any copy of a citation and a TNA reference for the Battalion War Diary covering the Second Battle of Gaza?

Thanks

25 minutes ago, ForeignGong said:

Hi

Here is LG for MC

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31371/supplement/6928

I think this is what is called a King's Birthday award and that means no citations.

Page 6926 confirms it is in the Birthday Awards.

Edited by BFBSM

Hi,

10 hours ago, SapperBoo said:

a TNA reference for the Battalion War Diary covering the Second Battle of Gaza?

Unfortunately it isn't available for download yet, but the reference is WO 95/4654

Regards

Chris

Thanks, this is really helpful.  I don't know how many times I put Gostling into the Gazette search facility and never came up with that entry. I think I will need to wait for the War Diary to be made available.

Thanks again.